Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would appreciate some feedback on the following situation. I am planning to go to college next year (Computer Programming @ Sheridan), and find myself in a strange spot for computer requirements.

Most of the courses will be dealing with Microsoft VB, C++, Java, etc. I _really_ don't want to give up my Powerbook to use a PC.

I've been looking at Thinkpad's recently, but just can't bring myself to buy a PC. Has anyone here had experience with programming classes @ college using a Mac? I could use Virtual PC I suppose, but i'm not too sure how realistic that would be long-term. The speed of Virtual PC makes me think I wouldn't be able to deal with it for hours on end :)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,
DJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey there,
I just started my first year at Sheridan this semester. I'm in a post-graduate new media program. From my experience so far, it seems the school is predominantly PC based, except for arts, graphics and animation related programs, which are Mac based.

You should look in to whether your program has a mandatory laptop leasing program. The lease usually costs approx. $1800+ per year, which is quite ridiculous since you can purchase your own laptop for around that price. But I guess that covers the cost of software leasing too. We have an exclusive G5 lab in my program, so luckily we weren't forced into the leasing program.

Anyway, good luck next year!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You can run those in VPC, although all of them except VB you can run on the Mac. Java you will like the most because you can use either OS to develop it, its just the building of the actual files may require the compiler specified by the school. If you can figure out the work arounds to get everything working on a Mac, you know a lot more then other people, because you've had to learn how to adapt programs. Figuring out such problems is much more rewarding, but is difficult sometimes, you can always ask for help here and people will help in whatever ways they can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts