Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd personally go for the iBook... but if you want to do a lot of Media (video, pictures, audio) work... i'd say go with the PowerBook. Both ways, I think if you hold out for a month, you will see faster speeds across the board for all Apple laptops.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
What are you going to do with it.

Powerbook supports dual monitors. (Value ? $$)
Comes with both video adapter, VGA & RCA/S-Video (Value 39.99)
Powerbook is smaller, lighter (Value ? $$)
Powerbook keyboard is more solid (Value ? $$)
Powerbook Airport Extreme (Value ? $$)
Powerbook Analog Audio In Port (Value ? $$)
Powerbook is Sexier (IMHO)

Difference in price about $400 bucks ( est. )

The iBook and it's G3 processor will be discontinued before the G4. (LOL this has no value)

Purchase a little more and you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a few days ago I went with a 12" Powerbook, having moved up from an iceBook, and let me tell you, it smokes the iBook's butt. I noticed its speed from the very first startup.

The iBook is fine for most purposes, but if you need power (like for video or photo editing) go with a G4 processor.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
I posted a similar topic a month or so ago, and just made the plunge this weekend for a 12' PB.

Wow. One thing that there is no comparison with is the build quality. The ALBook feels much more solid. The keyboard is FANTASTIC.

I was on the fence as well, but after researching, and playing with them on several occaions at the store, i KNEW that it had to be the PB.

An extra $400 or so is nothing. Trust me, the machines feel worlds apart, in build quality, and overall performance.

Peter

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have the 12" AlPB as well, and it rocks my world. This is my 15th Mac purchase (for home) since 1986. I've used countless other Macs at work. And countless PC desktops and laptops. The 12"/17" PowerBook G4 keyboard is absolutely fantastic! The 12" form-factor is the perfect size. Panther is very zippy on this 867 G4 cpu. Just like the Cube, this 12" is just a fantastic product, and I hope Apple continues to speed-bump and innovate on it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Neil, I'm glad to hear how happy you are with the 12" Powerbook.
That's the model we are planning on getting for our photo business. Right now, we're just holding off until Apple announces their product line changes. Then, we'll quickly have to decide between the not-so-old 12" or the new-and-improved 12".
Tough choices....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts