Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big price drop on the 12" PowerBooks at Apple.ca/.com Store.

N.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah. I also noticed that some products reflect the new (better) exchange rate. The iBook for example starts at $1429 and the 17" PB is "only" $4699.

Cool.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow that's the first time I remember Apple adjusting the prices to reflect exchange rate changes after the launch of a product (without a speed bump or "sale" or what have you).

·
Registered
259 Posts
APPLE HAS FINALLY DONE THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting for them to make this step for months -- lowering the prices to REALISTIC levels. They are going to gain many more consumers who previously would have brushed them off. I'm VERY IMPRESSED and EXCITED for Apple's future with this BIG STEP accomplished today. Now Apple MUST adjust the eMac, iMac and PowerMacs prices.

I believe the 970 based PowerBooks are closer than one might think.

·
Registered
433 Posts
wish they had changed the prices on the ipods too. :(

p.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Holy Cow....

Those price drops and exchange adjustments add up to some real money.

[They better release that 15" Al book before the Cdn dollar goes up again]

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow that's the first time I remember Apple adjusting the prices to reflect exchange rate changes after the launch of a product (without a speed bump or "sale" or what have you).
I take it all back. They adjusted prices in the US as well so it was a generalized sale. Interesting that the 17" machine was also adjusted however. If I'm not mistaken the price for the hubris-book remained the same south of the border.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Heart, are you gonna make the 15" ALPB move? I'm sorta waiting for it. After using this TiBook - man, can I ever use the extra screen. It might be the death of my Pismo... as sad as it may be.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yippeee.... just found out that my 17" powerbook order is now going to be at the new price - saves $700!! Thanks to our purchasing department that managed to screw the order up twice (orginally ordered in January!). It's due to arrive this week.

All's well that ends well..... <....17" grin....>

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
man.... I've been drooling @ the 12" - $2249?? that is so sick. Man, I'm looking for reasons not to pull the trigger on this now. I mean, 2249?? a little small on the sreen but that's more than affordable. Hmmm... I may have to take a good look at the 12" reviews.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
These price drops are making me salivate... Almost into my price range... Just need to work extra hard this summer :D

But what else will be released in June? iBooks that can use Airport Extreme?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The prices are good cookin'. It's tempting, but I'm going to wait until June 23 to see what goes down at WWDC. These prices are stunning now, but won't be as exciting if we find Apple putting 970s throughout the entire PowerBook line -- 12" to 17".

I think those who buy a machine now will kick themselves when Stevo takes the stage. I just hope whatever new machines come out have pricing similar to today's STUNNING developments.

WAIT, even though its the hardest thing to do -- lock up your cash. :D

·
Premium Member
17,989 Posts
Y'all should see the prices for Education... the 12" powerbook is now $2089 at Dalhousie University's campus Apple store.... :eek:

I wonder if I can clean off enough room on the ol' plastic..... hmmmmmm...

M.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
970's across the powerbook range? Heck its a good job the Feds are decriminalizing possession..... whatever you're smokin must be hot (but not as hot as the 970s with their 3X die size). Everyone is setting themselves up for a major disappointment when Steve "only" announces a 970 Pro range. I saw another ridiculous rumour on MacWhispers (why did I follow the link to that garbage site??) that claimed 970s will be cheaper than G4 chips.

If you can wait, wait..... life continues to count down.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
CubaMark, I was just going to call to see what the Uni prices were. This is just ridiculous... just a few days ago, $2000 could only get me an iBook - now a 12" PB. I must be dreamin... I too will wait until the 23rd. I really want to see what that new 15" will be like. Although, I have nothing against getting a new one. My Pismo's days are almost certainly numbered @ this point.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, talk about a nag !?!? :D

OK, you have shamed me into an "impulse purchase". I shall order a 17" AlPB if that will make you happy. Do you suggest Applecare, which is an additional $404 Can. here at MUN?

I trust you realize that these things don't mate the way doxies do, producing little powerbookettes?????? We shall see.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Dr. G - Get the AppleCare. Should anything happen to your PB, the AppleCare will most likely save you quite a bundle, plus you get a few utilities to keep your computer in tip top shape!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Seconded. AppleCare is generally a good thing but for powerbooks its very important. You'll love the screen. Stunning. Also, Apple Canada has reduced the price fo the 17" significantly so the difference more than covers AppleCare.

Go for it Dr. G. We could initiate a 17" love-in....

BTW, mine came with 10.2.4 loaded. Two updates out of date.... Spent a few hours just uploading all the new system software QT 6.3, iSync 1.1, etc).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts