Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key diffs. As well, was the heating issue resolved with Panther??

H!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Differences:
</font>
  • 0.867 vs. 1.0 GHz</font>
  • 256 vs. 512 MB L2 cache</font>
  • VGA out vs. DVI|VGA</font>
  • GeForce4 420 Go vs. GeForce4 5200 Go</font>
  • 640MB RAM max (officially; 1.25 GB actual) vs. 1.25 GB RAM max</font>
  • Jaguar vs. Panther or Panther-up-to-date</font>
  • RevA was originally US$1,799, then reduced to US$1,599, RevB is still US$1,599</font>
  • A vs. B revision (this matters to some)</font>
Heat:
10.3.2 solved the heat problem on the RevA at the cost of the fan coming on more often. Don't know if there was RevB heat or not.
Mine's the RevA, with 640MB+AirportExtreme

[ January 09, 2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I've had my rev.B for a couple days - putting it through some fairly intensive "tests" and haven't had the fan start yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i've had a rev a 12" pb since about july

i've never really found it to get any hotter then my old tibook 550 did that this machine replaced...
all laptops get hot...

i am running os 10.3.2 and i actually got annoyed with how the fan started coming on earlier, so i installed the silent night patch and now my fan cuts in when it used to, so i am completly happy again.

i seem to think that since installing os 10.3.2 the actual operating temeratures don't rise like they used to on this machine, so i think overall operating temperatures may have dropped??? can't say forsure but to me it does seem like it.

if the heat thing does bother you, just get a podium cool pad, i got one, and it also helps with the angle it puts the machine on , makes for better typing position.

640 max ram is what i have in this maching, the REV A however can accept a 1gig chip, so in theory the REV A can be expanded to almost the same ram specs as it's REV B brother.

i do find myself eyeing up the 15" al books these days as the extra screen space would be a nice thing as this 12" powerbook is currently my only mac at the moment..

hope this helps somewhat..

jason

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ask as I'm possibly considering a Rev A being sold. I was concerned about the heat though, but did remember hearing that Panther had solved the burning problem.

Will the cache diffs be such that I'll see noticeable perf diffs? How much vid ram did Rev A ship with?

Elmer, are things good with A, eh?? :D

H!

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I was concidering a rev a until I took a look at the educational discount on the 1ghz rev b. $1999 plus tax, that is $300 off the regular price! Macdoc is selling a rev a at $1770, a rev b for $230 more is a good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts