Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone that owns the rev b 12" powerbook tried recording with the audio input? If so, did you experience any latency? The main use of my future PB is going to be audio production, so I really hope there is close to zero latency...

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Hey cool it :cool:

having said that... i can't help you with your specific question. i've got an ibook/900 with no built-in audio input. I have used it with a MOTU 896 and that worked out really well. If you're using your powerbook for "audio production" I would recommend an external firewire interface. You'll get lower latency, higher selectable sampling rate, greater bit depth, lower noise and just generally better A/D/A. Having the converters in a dedicated box outside the computer is important for keeping sound clean. The built-in audio on Macs is mainly for voice recognition, text-to-speach and acceptable CD playback. it's not designed for "audio production" (but the G5 may represent a departure with its digital connectivity)

hope this is helpful.

[ October 30, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: vacuvox ]

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks.. that does help somewhat.. i have a feeling the built-in audio is not going to suffice.. how much does a rig like yours go for? i think price is definately a determining factor on whether or not i even opt for the powerbook at this point if im going to have to buy an external a/d/a

[ October 30, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: kloan ]

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really, one or two.. im more of a midi and 1 track at a time kinda guy... if i ever get to the point where i need to be recording multiple audio sources, ive reached professionalism and i can afford to buy a better rig..

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have a 12" powerbook g4 867 - 640 megs ram and run an m-audio usb quattro on it, it's a 4 in / 4 out audio unit with midi in and out...

it works great under osx
(10.2.6 am installing panther this wknd)

have used it with logic, cubase, ableton live etc etc...
no problems ever....
i think you can get a usb quattro for under 350$ canadian now...

more info: www.m-audio.com

hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.