Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

12" or 15"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to be buying a new machine in the next few weeks and I am now torn between the 12" PowerBook SuperDrive and the 15" PowerBook Combo Drive.

Which would you choose?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Superdrive is just too cool. :cool: Nice super compact and portable. Hook up the mini-DVI to a nice size display later for sitting at your desk. :D

Archive your iLife stuff to DVD.

·
Registered
281 Posts
here's a somewhat less popular question, but nonetheless useful. How old are you?

Younger people tend to like the 12 for several reasons. They like the mobility, don't care about the screen size, and it's cheaper. Older people tend to like the 15 for the larger screen, and they don't really move as often.

I just know that I've got a 17 right now, and sometimes, I do wish I had a 12.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in my early twenties and would be using it primarily for school. I'll be doing a lot of writing (so. much. writing), and I also run many apps at once.

I'm torn because the 12" is easier to drag back and forth to school and what not, but the 15" has a much nicer screen and I wouldn't have to pay extra for a larger hard drive, as well as more ports.

The 12" video card is also kind of, er, lack lustre. On the other hand, it;s got a superdrive and weighs much less.

I'm conflicted. Probably I'll just let my wallet do the walking because I can get a 12" with a 60Gb hard drive, AE card and a couple other things for about the same price as the 15".

Keep the opinions coming though. At some point I'll make a list of pros & cons for both.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i've had all three configurations.. a 12" iBook, and both 15 and the 17" PowerBooks. I missed the 12" way more than I miss the 15.

I'm in my early twenties as well, and I totally understand your concern for portability. For lectures, there's nothing better than a 12".

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
I only miss a bigger screen when I switch rapidly from one to the other...

12" a bit small for video editing (although OK for iMovie). My current convern is on RAM: GB, Panther and others really want their pound of flesh in that space. 60Gig HD is sufficient is you are not heavily into movies. Buy a separate FW disk if you are. Max the RAM. I have 384 and often find it tight.

BTW: dropped my machine on a the metal foot of a chair from a desk (tripping on the power cable). Looks bumped but still rocks! Sturdy little thing...

·
Registered
187 Posts
For your needs it sounds like the 12" SuperDrive would be the best choice. I had a Rev A and loved it to death. I recently just upgraded to a 1.25 15" SuperDrive for the added screen realistate and I LOVE the screen so much more than the 12". However the little 12" had character and seemed a little lighter and easier to tug around

For school work I would definately recommend the 12", if you have the money to blow though get the 15" SuperDrive :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I will say the 12 for the SuperDrive and compact nature. But I have had a TiBook, and a Pismo (I still have the Pismo). I will say that I did love the real estate that the 15" offered. I do want to get back into more design, some vid editing as well. Thus my reluctance to declare the 12 the winner...

I'm in the same boat. Looking @ a 12" but really want a 15. I did hate lugging the 15 around though, and I do despise the Pismo for making it's transport such a pain @ times.

But I keep reminding myself that I can a monitor to the 12". right??

Good luck...

H!

·
peek-a-boo
17,353 Posts
For school? The 12. Unless you require screen real estate. I have a 12 iBook, and I love the portability, my only problem with it, is the screen real estate for pograms like flash etc. Otherwise, 12 is great for moving around.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I will tell you that I love the 12". It leaves with me everywhere I go. Accompanies me for all my presentations. I have a beautiful Spier sleve it slides into and fit easily into my briefcase. Thus, I don't have to lug around a gaudy laptop case.
When in my office, I hook up to a 20" inch CRT and bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I run the monitors in parallel and have my static stuf (Mail, Address, Calander) running on the laptop display and anything I'm working with on the CRT.
In this Config, it is the best of both worlds. I will say though, find a way to get a superdrive, whatever your decision.
Good Luck,
Peter

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
As an owner of a 12" PB: Nothing beats it for mobility and the Superdrive is ideal for backing up gigs of data....or iLife stuff. Get a good quality padded sleeve and you're set.

Based on your stated needs, I'd humbly suggest the 12" PB.

BTW, I'm in my 40's and have no issues with the screen size...hear that howing? ;)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Younger people tend to like the 12 for several reasons. They like the mobility, don't care about the screen size, and it's cheaper. Older people tend to like the 15 for the larger screen, and they don't really move as often.
\
I am nearly 60 and I have an AL Powerbook 1Ghz with superdrive and I can see the screen just fine thanks. Age is NO factor in my mind.

The convenience of the 12" when travelling in my motor home is great, not to mention the DVD for a second movie option in the rear bedroom.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I have to join the crowd... I own a 12" PB RevA. I love it to death, simply the best machine I have ever had (and I've had lots)... I've traveled the world lugging ugly ass thinkpads around... nothing beats the size and portability of this little beauty.

While the 15" is cool with extra real estate... you can always plug in an external monitor with the 12"

And the Superdrive is just that... it is a must have.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have an iBook myself...

but it seems the 12" PB in combination with a 17" (or 20") LCD is a great solution. Very portable PB with lots of screen realestate when you're working at home (and/or the office). One of my friends has this setup and he's overjoyed with it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Own the 12" SD Rev. B Loving it.

Sometimes I wish I had more screen space, or that the screen wasn't only 1024x768 but a higher resolution, but all in all I recommend the 12" PB.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This really depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's just for your digital life: email, internet, music etc...then I would recommend the 12" PB. If, by the nature of your job or occupation you require more screen real estate, the 15" is da bomb. I need a larger screen for CAD and 3D work. Amazingly, with the 15" widescreen I don't even miss my 19" desktop display. I was working on a Pismo today and the "square" screen isn't an effective use of a small space. I love the 12"... I really do, but the screen is a little small for my line of work. I think you should save up a bit more and get the 1.25 GHz 15" PB. The screen is the perfect size and the machine screams.

About the infamous "white spots": I had four on my screen and a dead pixel when I bought it in October. Today, Apple replaced the screen (in 45 minutes...I might add) and there are no white spots or dead pixels - a sweeeet display.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts