Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new one yesterday and I love it already. I got the whole thing with a 10GB iPod and a canon i450 printer for $2150 (edu pricing, rebates and selling my previous iPod). What a steal! I have to say though, what really amazes me about this little machine is how good the keyboard is. It's just too good to be true. I brought it into work on my last day (summer job) and got lots of funny stares since everyone uses really crappy windows machines... I hooked it up to the network no problem and I can do my last day's work with pleasure for once.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
It is an absolute pleasure, one of things I love as well about my 12" is the keyboard. Great thought on Apple's part to move RAM, AirPort Card etc. under the machine to take away the spring board effect the older PowerBooks have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd really appreciate it if you could comment on the following:

1. Heat
2. Airport reception
3. Screen quality/Eye strain after long use.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
For anyone who does a lot of typing, the 12" PB's keyboard is, like, Nirvana.

Heat: it does get toasty. It's worse if you don't properly calibrate your battery immediately upon cracking the box.

Airport reception: FYI, if "Use Interference Robustness" is turned on (only in Airport Extreme), we can't connect to anything. Leave it off.

Eyestrain: I haven't used my friend's machine long enough to say... but if it is an issue, you can always plug in an external monitor at home...

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I just tried one out when purchasing my Dad's birthday present at London Drugs. :eek: I didn't think it was possible for someone to fall in love with a computer so fast. The screen although a little small in my opinion (Opinions can change
) but just opening Text Edit and typing a few lines,
I've fallen in love.
That book is positively awesome. Can't wait to save up enough for one. (Although, I'll wait for Rev. 2 since it should be out by MWSF and I can wait that long).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, I've had the book plugged in and charging while I was using it and the heat was not an issue. I've seen my friend's powerbook get ridiculuously hot but this one donesn't seem to get scorching like the rest. I don't have an airport card so I can't answer your question about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any thoughts on screen quality, Alec? Any eyestrain after prolonged periods?

I've read reviews indicating the LCDs aren't as good on the 12" as they are on the other PBs, and I wondered if you could confirm or deny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wary of purchasing the 12 inch simply because of the screen at first but I have to admit I have been converted. I have a 17 inch flat tube CRT with trinitron at home so I have a top notch CRT but compared to an LCD, well, it doesn't. There is no such thing as eyestrain on a flat panel I have found (probably because of the refresh rate - or lack thereof). The screen is bright enough but not as brilliant or clear as the 15 and 17 inch powerbooks. If you look at it from a sitting position - if it on a desk it is just as good as a CRT if not better. This powerbook (in my opinion) is the best of the 3 and I have had a chance to play with all of them a fair bit.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Screen gets very busy on some apps with multiple windows (e.g. Dreamweaver), otherwise OK. Fine on its own, only weak when rapidly converting to/from a desktop (iMac 15" LCD is my other machine).

Heats seems unpredictable. I would guess that the early part of charging is the hottest.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had my 12" AlPB for about 2 months now, and I use it extensively. I just finished doing almost 4 straight days of work on it with iMovie 3, iDVD 3, a scanner, and a digital camera, over Airport Extreme in my kitchen area. I built a rather large 'Ken Burns effect' slideshow w/music and transitions - the works. 2.5GB monster. For the first three days, I was using but the 12" display which is fantastic, and especially if you have access to the Panther builds, since Expose makes small LCDs in laptops completely academic.

The keyboard is absolutely the best one i've ever used, and i've used the Pismo, Wallstreet, Lombard, clam-shell iBook, TiBook, PB1400c, PB2400, 3400, 140, 100's - It's just an amazing keyboard. Airport reception is actually MUCH better than the TiBooks, and with two APs (on on each floor), I get signal anywhere in the house. With the TiBook-550 before this one, with the same APs and locations, i'd get zero signal 20-feet from the access point. The 12" AE is far far better. And yes, turning on the Extreme signal booster/filter for Microwaves etc in the software botches my connection efficiency. I dont' use it, and my house if full of 2.4GHz wireless stuff (phones, etc).

The LCD is a bit dim compared to the LCDs on my PC, and the viewing angle for horizontal isn't particularly fantastic, but it's not too often that 2 or more people use the Mac at once - as long as you are in front of it, and the screen is angled just right, the image/clarity and saturation is very good. I have no idea what the pixel response time is or the candela/m2 or contrast ratios are, but i'd have to guess at a 25ms pixel response and 250cdm2 and 400:1 contrast, based on having owned/used/reviewed dozens of LCD displays.

It gets hot, and very hot in fact, but that's the nature of aluminum - there's a good reason why all G4 PowerBook have been made out of metal - it's a giant passive heatsink.

I have a few reservations about the 12" and hope that these will be resolved in a future refresh of the 'book. 1) No PC-Card/PCMCIA slot. Even a Type-I would have been great. It's a shame I can't put a USB 2.0 CardBus card on this thing. 2) 640MB Max RAM (unless you're filthy rich and can afford to test whether or not Kingston's/Crucial's 1GB PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM works in the 12" AlPB. I find that i've reached this RAM limite a few times with the monster production I just did last week. 3) 1x DVD-R, no DVD-RW - of course, I installed the hacked firmware for the drive, and i've enjoyed 2x DVD-R and 1x DVD-RW and 16x CD-R speeds since then, but I believe it was a marketing choice on Apple's behalf to limit the performance of the Superdrive in the 12" and not the 17". 4) The 17" has a the lit keyboard, and the 12"'s keyboard is the same as the 17", as are the batteries (technically). Heck, even the lettering on the keys of the 12" are transparent right thru the key - why didn't Apple include backlighting on both the AlPB's? 5) Last but not least, they should have included a DVI connector on the 12" AlPB. The GeForce2 420 Go natively codec's for DVI and VGA, so why didn't Apple include the $1 DVI-I connector on the right side of the machine or via Dongle thru the monitor/S-video-out port?

If apple includes 3 or more of the above features into a future 12", i'll likely sell this one off. It's a great little laptop, but it IS a PowerBook G4, just smaller. At about $3600 after upgrades and taxes on this, it's no iBook. Apple should have standardized DVI, keyboard backlighting, PC-Card slots, and 2x Superdrive across both (and eventually all three) AlPB's.

N.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,504 Posts
Cantab, if you want to see comprehensive reviews, check out NY's EnvyNews website. I went to check on the Samsung 191T on that sight and walked away far more knowledgeable than when I first went into the site. Other than the info I have received from the various MacMavens of ehMacLand (e.g., Macdoc, jwoodget, PosterBoy, et al), I have found NY's web site most interesting and informative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts