Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've had some problems with a 12" G4 PB/1.33ghz/512/30gb/10.4.10, new-to-me, and wondered if anyone has ever experienced the same.

Symptom: Sytstem will randomly go into sleep, with no warning whatsoever. Looking to the console log for crashes, etc., one can see that this seems to be a case of the dreaded "Random Overtemp Sleep Syndrome"-- apparently a faulty temp monitor in the trackpad. "Power Management received emergency overtemp signal" It then goes into sleep to prevent disaster.

http://people.aero.und.edu/~spoonk/powerbook.html
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=554083
http://www.swisswuff.ch/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=78
etc.

This seems, then, to be rather well documented problem for g4 laptops.
The difference with THIS PB, though, is that, through Temperature Monitor, I'm getting high readings through the "Processor Topside" monitor as opposed to the Trackpad monitor (which is absent....?!) Is there a trackpad temp monitor in the 12"G4s?
The problem, then, is that I'm getting high--and highly fluctuating-- temperatures for the processor, with high fan speeds as a result. Sometimes, the PB is rendered unusable for long periods of time as it protects itself from high temps, real or imagined.

I'm going to try the kernel-extension-removal-fix and see how that goes for the rest of the day.

Any similar problems persisting among ehmac members' G4s?

·
Registered
77 Posts
you 2.

I just fixed up a Little Al 867, running 10.3.9 osx

I too run into the Sleep run away fan syndrome.

I went to System Preference, hardware, energy saver, optimizer energy setting to maximum performance. This way the computer never goes to sleep. I then set the display sleep timer to 15 minutes. So far so good.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done the same, and reinstalled a clean system (for the second time). But I'm still getting processor temps that fly from 45 to 79 degrees in less than twenty seconds. Seems to happen even faster when playing flash-based content in safari.
Just weird. And troublesome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, the obvious is to get warranty service, if after warranty, then you may have to open up the powerbook. disconnect the heatsink and fan. Inspect for blockage from dust and lints at the air intake. If everything seems fine, then reapply thermal compound on top of the cpu (powerpc chip), make sure the thermal pad over the video chip is making good contact with the chip and the heatpipe. reconnect all the holddown bolts. reassemble and try again.

This is a readers digest version of the process. the actual procedure is quite a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Argh. The 15" was so much easier to take apart, if I remember correctly. This will be an all-day affair, I'm sure.

And I left my tools in NB, to boot. Anyone know of a good place in dowtown Ottawa for solid torx tools and the like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.