Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got a 12" G4 1.33Ghz iBook with a non-functional FW port. It worked when I got it, then it stopped.

I've tried all the fixes I can find short of opening the case. The local Apple Certified service place says a new logic board will fix it (but that costs almost as much as a refurbed MacBook).

So I'm thinking of selling it.

My question: Is the FW going a symptom of worse things to come, or is it likely an isolated failure?

I don't want to sell a dying machine to someone, and I don't want to part out a potentially useful machine if it isn't necessary. I'm sure someone could use the USB 2.0 ports on this for some portable photo editing. (which is what I was doing with it on vacation).

What is your experience with this - I know (according to the Danes and others) that the whole iBook line has potential issues - but is a non-functional firewire port a symptom of more to come, or likely an isolated failure.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a PRAM and PMU reset, and the fix you suggested in another thread (power everything down, pop out the battery, let it sit (about an hour in this case) and then restart.)

I also tried a fresh reinstall of Tiger (new - no transfer or archive) - same result - no firewire.

Local service techs (who may have only done what I had already done) also took a look at it. I paid for half an hour of labour and was told "new logic board".

Hopefully they did more than I was able to - but I wasn't watching them so I can't be sure.

I've become resigned to the possibility that the FW is gone. I'm just hoping to hear other's experiences (or deeper technical knowledge than mine) regarding the likely fate of the rest of the unit.

Though I can't say I'd turn down a miraculous cure!

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The 1.33s have not been problematic. There is no reason to conclude further failures and fortunately it does have USB 2.0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.