Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note - some additional comments are posted in CubaMark's "12-inch Powerbook notes" thread (click me)

(same comment posted to MacNN PowerBook forum, in the "Canadian 12" AlBooks?" thread)
"erica" has arrived! Perhaps I'll post pictures later. It's taking a long time to install and update and sync everything.
So far Office, Cubase, Warcraft III, iTunes, iPhoto, Safari, DVD player and Palm syncing all work great. Soon I'll get around to Vuescan, and stressing everything a little. I haven't had a computer at home for a month since I sold my PowerMac, so there's lots to do.
I tried something: I closed the lid while connected to my CRT and an external mouse. It sleeps. If I click the external mouse, it wakes up but I have no video unless I also open the latch. I guess you really do need an external keyboard for closed lid operation. I wish you could shut off the LCD to save VRAM. This is the most beautiful computer I have ever seen! The magnetic latch works great. Speech commands are usable with the internal mic. I like how the function keys are volume, etc by default instead of needing to press Fn to get those functions. Is this the first Canadian AlPB? I have to take film for processing and then scan it to get pictures up, so that won't happen till I have time. I noticed that QuickBooks has a pdf file with special instructions for Canadian users, which may be good news for some people. I most likely won't be using QB anyway. The audio output from the headphone jack is possibly better than the PowerMac. From the internal speakers, the sound is impressive for a laptop. I could go on and on and on about this thing.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Dude! You got my laptop!

Or at least the one I am considering for my next laptop.

Congrats! Now lets see some pictures!

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Elmer
Good for you on getting your new baby book
Are you the type that gives your macs names?
How zippy would you say itis compared to other macs, and do you think it will meet all your portable and home use needs?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
Elmer
Good for you on getting your new baby book
Are you the type that gives your macs names?
How zippy would you say itis compared to other macs, and do you think it will meet all your portable and home use needs?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only compare to my previous Mac (the previous incarnation of "erica"), which was an 800 MHz Quicksilver 2002 with 512 MB PC133 SDRAM with 10.2.3 on it. This laptop is definitely "zippier". So far the only waiting I've done is three seconds for the DVD to mount after I slip it in the combo drive. For example, I type "open Resume.doc" in the terminal (actually I use tab completion, ... but I digress) and my resume is open instantly in Word. So things like opening files or webpages, or folders in finder, long menus like the Font menu in Word, are all instant. Copying 5 GB iTunes library from my firewire backup drive took like a minute, I don't know.

My most demanding needs are: midi sequencing with VST playback in Cubase - low latency. Warcraft III - I have to see if I can slow it down with a really big game or something, but so far no problem. All my CDs are ripped already from before. Time will tell if it plays DVDs reliably, but the sound out of the headphone jack is lovely. Scanning color and black+white negatives, and manipulating files around 5 - 15 MB in size with Gimp (perhaps Photoshop in future), using 'clone', 'bezier' and various filters with a few layers. Doing usually one of these things at a time, with Mail and iCal open and a 21" monitor hooked up at 1280x1024 / 85 Hz. And always expanding the horizons of what I can do with this thing - once I switch to a digital camera I'll be out there shooting and editing in place. I'll be taking undergrad computer science courses at night in the summer, God willing, and would love to experiment with gcc and take notes in Word at the same time, and then have all that work available on the subway.
So, this arrival is the major event for this year. I have some non-computer-related events planned for coming years. ;)

BTW, I'm busy for the next couple days, so pics will have to wait till the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick:
Your machine is what I really wanted for work. I love the size. However they I needed one at the begining of January and unfrochatly it was not possible for me to be without a machine for 6-8 weeks. So now that you have it, want to trade for my new iBook

Just kidding, of course you don't, but if you change your mind drop me a line.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh. I considered buying Tomac's combo ibook, but I really wanted the G4 for Cubase, and of course the extra performance for certain tasks. Sure was hard being without my home Mac for a few weeks - of course it would be impossible for a work machine. I'm having negatives processed today, should have some pics up late tonight. It sure is nice to have all the features I want in one tiny package. I played Warcraft III online last night - had to use mirroring mode and turn down the detail - my first attempt was with extended mode, 1280x1024, medium detail and it was choppy. So far I can't tell whether WC3 is better than on the QS 2002 or worse, but I'm guessing its slightly better - have to try more settings.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your machine is what I really wanted for work. I love the size. However they I needed one at the begining of January and unfrochatly it was not possible for me to be without a machine for 6-8 weeks. So now that you have it, want to trade for my new iBook

Just kidding, of course you don't, but if you change your mind drop me a line.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hey Elmer...great to see photos of your new 12" powerbook! Thanks for doing that.

Just out of curiousity though...I've heard some complaints about display quality being blurry, or of bad quality (not sure which system people were referring to though). How does the display look on the 12" (please say perfectly sharp, crisp and clear...lol...I'm waiting for the 17")

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The display looks nice and crisp. It's neat seeing 1024x768 in such a small space and not losing anything. Of course if you antialias your fonts too much they will look blurry on any monitor - I have mine set to "looks best on LCD". At max brightness the screen literally wakes you up in the morning! I usually leave it around 20% brightness.
Ok - one thing I do find annoying is that there is only one ctrl key and one alt/option key (on the left side)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
phew! good to hear the display looks good...hopefully that's the direction the 17" will be going in. That was really my only big concern about buying before seeing.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
We just got our Demo 12" PowerBook set up today and all I can say is WOW. I want one, bad.

I haven't really had a chance to really play with it yet, but I have set up all the Apple Apps, downloaded all the available updates (it came with 10.2.3) and also got our Tungsten T syncing with it over BlueTooth.

Cool stuff. Definitly a front runner for my next purchase.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I too want this unit. I predict somewhere in late summer I think. I may put a few more $$ in my Pismo (looking for an internal combo drive). I like the DVD-R option, so I need to save up. I can't wait!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts