Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks. I'm posting this in the "Everything Else" section as this pertains not just to Macs, but also HDTVs and Xbox...

I'm looking for a decent sized (52"ish) 1080p HDTV that has two VGA inputs. I want two VGA inputs so that I can use the 1080p functionality with my Xbox 360 (since this is not the elite, has to use VGA for this resolution) and a Mac Mini (I'm assuming the best video from a Mac Mini to TV is VGA, HDMI can't be done can it?)

Does anyone have any experiences both good and bad for hooking these components up together and getting 1080p resolution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about this Panasonic Plasma for a Mac Mini?

Thanks BrundleFly...

I guess I won't find an HDTV with two VGA connectors. I've resigned to the fact that I'll have to hook up the XBox 360 through component. The Mac Mini can have the PC hookup...

I think I've decided on an HDTV for my home theater...
The Panasonic TH-50PZ700

Panasonic TH-50PZ700 Tech Specs

Anyone have any advice or experience using a plasma for a mac?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks BrundleFly...

I think I've decided on an HDTV for my home theater...
The Panasonic TH-50PZ700 Panasonic TH-50PZ700 Tech Specs

Anyone have any advice or experience using a plasma for a mac?
That's just sick! I am jealous! Wish I could afford a 50" 1080p set. I have last year's 42" Panny model (not 1080p) and when hooking up my Macbook, the picture was impressive. Wanted to try Front Row with a couple of movies but never use my set as a external monitor.

One thing you will want to watch for is to keep the same static image displayed on the plasma for extended periods of time. Seems this can cause burn-in issues. If you have the time, you can find out more at AVS Forums, DHC's Forums and Bruzzi's Forum has a wealth of info on Pannys.

Also, if your planning on buying internconnect cables and such, Monoprice is a great place to shop. Very reasonable prices and highly recommended by many.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome Ants! Thanks for the info. Don't be too jealous... right now I do not own an HDTV at all. I've been stuck with the same TV tube for nearly 10 years now. I can't wait to hook up a Mac Mini to it however. I only hope the next update for the Mac Mini will include 'N' network rather than 'B/G'. (I have not bought the mini yet, waiting for an N enabled Mini) If not, then I'll have to have it wired to the network.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1080p

Gives you a resolution of 1920 x 1080, but they say you cant tall the difference between 1080 or 720 pending the distance you are from the screen, so if you are mosre than 8 feet away, you could save a buck or one thousand.

I like to be within 4 feet of mine, but I am an odd duck.:ptptptptp

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Gives you a resolution of 1920 x 1080, but they say you cant tall the difference between 1080 or 720 pending the distance you are from the screen, so if you are mosre than 8 feet away, you could save a buck or one thousand.

I like to be within 4 feet of mine, but I am an odd duck.:ptptptptp
FYI... If you are using your computer with your TV there is a HUGE difference between 1080p and 720p

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Bad news... According to what little information I could find on AVS Forums, the Panasonic TH-50PZ700 will not do 1080p over VGA.

As such, I will either have to use the DVI-->HDMI converter cables for the Mac Mini and buy an Xbox Elite (for HDMI output) (and sell my Xbox Premium) or just skip this plasma all together and go for an LCD (yuck)

In other news, the receiver I was considering (Pioneer VSX-84) will not allow you to take a Video Only HDMI feed and add on audio internally (which would allow me to use the Mac Mini through DVI-->HDMI and add on the digital audio within the receiver).

This stereo equipment is far from user friendly these days!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey man

dont go vga

do dvi.

i have a 32 inch lcd that is hdtv, so it isnt hdmi, but it runs REALLY well for xbox, and desktop computer which is sadly windows, but i run my macbook on it and both are gorgeous. thats your best bet for sure

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
FWIW, I have a Mac Mini connected to my Sharp Aquos 52" LCD and the picture quality is stunning. I'm using DVI at 1080p. I can't remember the resolution but it's one setting less than the max. At max resolution, I found the text too small for my aging eyes.

That only feature I wish I had was picture-in-picture. I never thought I'd use it so I didn't look for PIP when I bought my Sharp but now that I'm using it, I wish I could run a browser in one window while I have my satellite HDTV running in another. It would be very cool to look up stats, etc. while watching a baseball game, for example.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah, the PIP isnt that great. on my lcd i have my xbox in HDTV, my macbook in DVI, and my desktop in VGA, the PIP seems like a good idea, and could do some seriously gnarly things, but most video cards wont support it, the image just goes haywire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.