Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
I wonder how the battery life is on the mini's if it's significantly longer that may be a big selling point. :cool:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was actually contemplating driving down to the apple store in Buffalo when the minis arrived to pick one up - to avoid the April 2004 release here in canada.

However - is there a down side to this?
If there is a technical problem, would I have to drive back to the states to have it fixed?

I would of course, call the store ahead of time to make sure that one would be there waiting for me.

Anyone have any other reasons that I may want to sit and wait until April?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i was thinking the same thing too as i will be at the SF store opening and i know it'd be difficult not to make such an impulse buy. i just checked and apple's website lists the warranty as "global" for ipods.

the thing that i dislike is that the mini does not include a dock nor fw cable... so the $249US is misleading as you cannot use the device without at least buying the $20 cable ($40 for the dock.)

·
Registered
433 Posts
the thing that i dislike is that the mini does not include a dock nor fw cable..
From MacCentral: "The iPod mini includes your choice of silver, gold, pink, blue or green, and includes a belt clip, headphones, power adapter, FireWire and USB cable, and software."

no dock, but the entry iPod model doesn't have one either.

p.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
the thing that i dislike is that the mini does not include a dock nor fw cable

Where did you hear that? It actually comes with the FireWire and the USB2 cable, which is in some ways better than the iPod.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I wonder how the battery life is on the mini's if it's significantly longer that may be a big selling point.

Apple's Website says that the battery life is the same across the iPod spectrum: 8 hours.

All model have the same amount of skip protection too, up to 25 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, that's is a LOT of demand. Nice to see.

I hope it makes the big 40GB model look less attractive - so the one I am ordering today ships a bit faster. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't post the image right now, but go to the Apple Store US and click on the mini iPod. There is an image that lists the following:

Includes Apple Earphones, Belt Clip and AC Adapter.

There is *no* mention of FW or USB cable... One would assume that the store description would be accurate, no??? If you click through all the way through purchasing, there is no mention of FW/USB cable either...

·
Registered
101 Posts
According to a Washington Post review (from iPodlounge), battery life is officially stated at 8 hours (same as regular iPod), but the reviewer actually got 10 hours play out of his.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41488-2004Feb14_2.html

I am awaiting delivery tomorrow of my first iPod, a 15 GB model (bought from an Ehmac member), but now I'm pretty certain I'll sell it right away, and drive down to Seattle to get a Mini.
It was the announcement of the Mini that first got me considering buying an iPod, but all the nay-sayers critiquing the 4 GB capacity convinced me to get a full-size one.

This week I've been ripping some of my CD collection to my computer (so I can load it to the iPod), and I've realized just HOW MUCH music 4 GB is: 75 hours is more than enough for my needs.

If I was spending a year travelling I'd want much of my library with me, but for the way I would use the iPod, the small size, new design, and improved scroll wheel are bigger factors than capacity.

I think Apple will sell a ton of these, and when all the buzz begins to wane (maybe summertime?), they'll drop the price and sell a bunch more.

·
Registered
838 Posts
"There is *no* mention of FW or USB cable... One would assume that the store description would be accurate, no??? If you click through all the way through purchasing, there is no mention of FW/USB cable either... "

iPod/mini specs see included accessories, the first column is mini.
finally, why would apple not give the user a fw cable, their trying to push it as it is, to make it the prefered standard, as oppose to USB 2.0 which sucks arse.

vince

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Why is anyone surprised there are so many presales? The iPod mini is a superb device. The people complaining about the price didn't get the technology involved. How many will they sell this year? 500K, a million? Now if Apple could only preserve the style and technological coolness and bring a lower end product to the Mac line...... That's where the numbers are.

As to 4 Gb, iTunes makes it really easy to sync particular sets of songs (in the source listing). Just do a search on various specifics such as genres, release dates, names, etc and drag the collection into a new playlist. Syncing 4 Gb takes a few minutes and you've a specific collection of about 1000 songs for a specific use. Sync swap em at will.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Per scootsandludes:
"There is *no* mention of FW or USB cable... One would assume that the store description would be accurate, no??? If you click through all the way through purchasing, there is no mention of FW/USB cable either... "

iPod/mini specs see included accessories, the first column is mini.
finally, why would apple not give the user a fw cable, their trying to push it as it is, to make it the prefered standard, as oppose to USB 2.0 which sucks...
Here is proof of the included cables (from your link):

See "Includes Accessories", that should solve the confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Thanks for (re)posting the link & image scootsandludes & BjornBro.

why would apple not give the user a fw cable, their trying to push it as it is, to make it the prefered standard, as oppose to USB 2.0 which sucks arse.

They include the FireWire cable because it is their preferred standard, and the only one that works with a Mac[1]. They include the USB2 cable because many more Windows computers come with USB2 than FireWire. I actually find it odd that they haven't started putting a USB2 cable in the iPod box yet.

[1] Assuming that the Mini does the same as the iPod does, FW for Mac or Windows, USB for Windows.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why is anyone surprised there are so many presales? The iPod mini is a superb device. The people complaining about the price didn't get the technology involved. How many will they sell this year? 500K, a million? Now if Apple could only preserve the style and technological coolness and bring a lower end product to the Mac line...... That's where the numbers are.
Well you'll recall from the previous thread on this topic that I was well aware that Apple had priced this machine more than fairly (and perhaps a bit too aggressive defending it at that).

OTOH, whether this narrow price range/feature set was a viable market was something I was not so sure of. I now consider myself much better informed in that regard

As to the low end of the Mac line, I really hope that Apple starts getting it there too. I've sold one friend on the eMac Superdrive (helped him set it up last night, what a sweet machine) and have another waiting for the eMac update (who knows when that will be). These are computers that are sold simply b/c of price. Neither of these people have ever owned a Mac. If the eMac didn't exist these would be PCs bought from elsewhere. It seems a simple truism that a good value low end machine can help to grow the market. By the same toekn, a blockbuster low end machine might be part of the solution to the market share problem.

I know it's too much to hope for but if the next eMac came with a G5 it would be an absolute killer. We know better though.

Apple would never in a million years consider launching the G5 across the board in the consumer lines. It will be the high end iMac first and then trickle down slowly through the rest of the machines (G5 eMac ETA late 2005?). Apple just doesn't understand that milking the margins in the (relatively) narrow high end iMac segment first is not a recipe for growth. sigh [/end rant]

I will now ignore all posts that mention both Apple and BMW
. Like da' man said, "He who sells Ferraris will drive a Honda and he who sells Hondas will drive a Ferrari". Not that there's anything wrong with Hondas ;) .

[ February 17, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: mycatsnameis ]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yes, I know you were one of the original defenders of the iPod mini, MCNI. The snipe was aimed at the many people who thought it would be a dud and never sell.

Carbon Ken, the original iPod was only targeted at Mac users and was very much unproven so 125K in two months was pretty remarkable. Now the iPod is an icon. I bought my wife one (5 Gb) and its still working well. I hope you guys can get enough of these from Apple. Having to wait till April is a real bummer though.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think most of us will agree that 100 000 pre-orders is pretty impressive, but there has been a site or two that has given this number a "so what" response.

Just bear in this in mind, Apple only sold 125 000 original iPods world-wide in the first two months. Those two months were November and December of 2001, right in the middle of the holiday buying season.

To have 100 000 pre sold in the USA before they even hit the shelves is fantastic news. I can't wait to start selling these.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts