Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's make this interesting. The #1000 poster will get a free Standard Wirehaired Dachshund from "Little Debbie's Den of Doxies" here in St.John's. I think that we should all donate something to make it worthwhile for him/her to register and be counted.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the puppy goes to Rob777. Kudos to you!

Macnut, I detest Screech, and one does not "give away" Standard Wirehaired Dachshund puppies. My two are the only two in the whole province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Rootie has earned his points for his Canadian Championship classification. Daisy will not be bred for another two years, and two of her pups are already spoken for by the woman who owns her mother, and the woman who owns her grandfather. Thus, if there are puppies left in the litter, and Rob777 is of fine moral character and a "doxie" person, he shall receive one of the pups as his prize. This is only fitting, in that each pup will sell for $1000...............that is if my wife and I can manage giving up the pups. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brainstrained, a "doxie person" must be loving to strange looking dogs, be willing to put up with the territorial behaviors of barking at everyone who comes close to the house, going crazy when someone enters the house (only to quietly sit on their lap an hour later), and just a general caring person. Such a person must not try to train the doxie into becoming a Frisbee dog, or to use them for manual labor (e.g., ditch digging, other than seeking out badgers, which is where they get their name and fame), and not use them for animal research.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Thanks Dr. G.

I can now say with certainty that I am not a "Doxie" person.

The clincher would be being so territorial that the Doxie notifies you of any passing stranger. :rolleyes:

I am, however, partial to hearing my beagle bay a welcome when I return after a few days absence. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob777, thanks for your honesty (which is more than I can say for Little Debbie's Den of Doxies.........but that's another story). What sort of dogs do you currently have at home?

What is the significance of your display name?

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Might be how maby banks he's heisted, ot maybe he held his finger on the 7 key too long. You never know with these mystery handles. DR. G, are you REALLY a doctor??. In my case, I was too stupid to go under a nom de plume....now the whole world knows who they're really laughing at

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peter, I am not a medical doctor, if that is your question. Still, the Ph.D. lets me use the Dr. in front of my name, and the Dr.G. is what my online students call me (to save space I assume).

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Dr. G, your hounds sound very much like my Standard Schnauzer. Great guard dogs but with complete attitude. We are penalized everytime she is displeased by one of our actions (such as going out for the evening). The dog is too intelligent. We're going away for a few days overthe holidays and she KNOWS. We're dreading the consequences. Bribery is only partially effective.

She unfortunately also displays some ugly behaviours. She hates kids on roller blades, bikes or skateboards and if their arses (as is the fashion even in -20 Toronto) are hanging out of their pants, they are prime targets. We had to remove a window shelf since she took to patrolling it and plastering her mutt to the glass at the first sign of a delivery person. Fortunately, she's only 40 lbs so she is handlable. 39.8 lbs of that are muscle and gristle though.

She's a great dog.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jwoodget, standard wirehaired doxies weigh about 25-30 pounds. They are amazingly quick for their shape (they are four times longer than they are high). They are territorial, and let us know when anyone is near our "territory", which is our house, our front and back garden, and Churchill Park, which is at the bottom of our Cul de Sac. They don't bite, but because of their big chest (which is needed for digging out badgers) their bark sounds like a 50+ pound dog.

There is a standard schnauzer that lives two houses down from us, and a standard poodle that lives on the next street. They both tower over my two doxies, but Daisy and Rootie make sure these two know "who is the boss". The only dog that frightens them is the Irish Wolfhound that lives near us and romps in Churchill Park. They are the size of his head and neck, and would sooner take on a riding lawn mower in full throttle than bark at this wolfhound.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Peter, I am not a medical doctor, if that is your question. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed that....it was really an attempt at a humorous rhetorical question. Failed again!!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter, now that I have been awarded the "Soapies" for the Jewish Vaudevillian of ehMacLand (it was a soapstone carving of the likeness of Uncle Miltie)I shall be looking for an apprentise to pass on my craft. If you would like to be considered for this prestegious position, where you too can be funny and famous, then just let me know. I guess I shall have to exclude the doxie routine from the act, but the seltzer bottle skit is still a blast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have two Lab crosses. One is crossed with Border Collie, the other is crossed with a beagle.

My display name is from my HSX login. I was trying to get a user name with Rob in it and I had just seen a tv show on the Boeing 777. Maybe if I had seen Top Gun that day my name would have been RobF14. I had considered joining ehMac when the population reached 777, but I hesitated and missed my opportunity.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife's family raised black labs in Alberta. They were used mainly for hunting. Our doxies are mainly house pets that are shown whenever there is a local dog show.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Our doxies are mainly house pets that are shown whenever there is a local dog show. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob777, he'll show the dogs to anyone whom he can coax to go to the Ofoto website. Give it to him, Dr. G! By the way, Dr.G, I'd ber honored to be your apprentice. When will you be moving closer to me? We can mull over Henny Youngman jokes.

"Take my wife....please!

I take my wife everywhere I go. She always finds her way back.

I once wanted to become an atheist but I gave up . . . they have no holidays.

You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to

I've got all the money I'll ever need, if I die by four o'clock.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Peter, you're a fast learner. Do you play the violin? We could bill you as the next henny Youngman or, dare I say, Jack Benny. We could be on Broadway in no time.

A man walked up to me in New York City wanting to know how he might get to Carnegie Hall. I told him "Practice, practice."

The oldies are still the goodies, n'est pas?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.