Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You snooze, you lose.

So I finally get around to updating my 2007 MacBook to Lion and find that Lion is no longer available in the App Store. And of course Mountain Lion won't run on my hardware.

Lion No Longer Available | Other World Computing Blog

You can buy older versions of OS X from third parties because they came on physical media. You can't buy 10.7 because it only comes from Apple as a download.

I won't be a BIT surprised if there's a TORRENT of abuse hurled at Apple for their ISO-lation of loyal users who now have to HUNT for alternatives.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
What if you purchased it a year ago but hadn't downloaded it onto all your computers yet?

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
You snooze, you lose.

So I finally get around to updating my 2007 MacBook to Lion and find that Lion is no longer available in the App Store. And of course Mountain Lion won't run on my hardware.

Lion No Longer Available | Other World Computing Blog

You can buy older versions of OS X from third parties because they came on physical media. You can't buy 10.7 because it only comes from Apple as a download.

I won't be a BIT surprised if there's a TORRENT of abuse hurled at Apple for their ISO-lation of loyal users who now have to HUNT for alternatives.
ive been saying this for a week now. its mind boggling that they would shut out people with non 10.8 compatible hardware from being able to get 10.7

in the past they have often made copies of older OSes available if you call and talk to apple support. i wonder if that will the case here....if you call some agent can authorize a lion download in your app store.

if not there are going to be a LOT of people who just got rogered

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you previously purchased lion, it should be available to download under the purchases window of the AppStore Mac app.

Otherwise the only real option will be to find an alternative source. Not sure why apple wouldn't leave a hidden link so it could be purchased cause it is still on their servers somewhere.

On a side note, generally people who didn't upgrade to lion will probably stick with snow leopard or whatever they are running. So maybe that was what apple was thinking to avoid confusion and stop people from downloading the wrong OS from the AppStore.

For a legal alternative you could look on eBay for a rare authentic USB stick with lion on it.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
15,721 Posts
I see what you're doing there... Yes, ISOHUNT is an alternative, if one wants to recommend torrenting on ehMac... :confused:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Intentional or not, I suspect Lions unavailability will be temporary. I think Apple may be trying to prod users into adopting Mountain Lion, but when enough users who are not capable of running ML decide or a forced to use Lion, Apple will make it available.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
they removed my lion purchase from my account. i cant see it any more. :(
wish they hadn't done that.. but I did make an USB key.. hope I never loose that key.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,976 Posts
they removed my lion purchase from my account. i cant see it any more. :(
wish they hadn't done that.. but I did make an USB key.. hope I never loose that key.
I did the same thing, but no such issue here. See for yourself:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
It's not showing up for me when I option-click purchases. I purchased it last year and installed it on on iMac and a MacBook but not my wife's MacBook. Can't create a thumb drive if I can't do the magic conjuring spell to make it appear. Would have been nice if Apple had given some forewarning about this. Marketing by stealth is fine before a new product release, but not for customer support.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Intentional or not, I suspect Lions unavailability will be temporary. I think Apple may be trying to prod users into adopting Mountain Lion, but when enough users who are not capable of running ML decide or a forced to use Lion, Apple will make it available.
Or there is going to be an increase of people requesting the USB thumb drive version from Apple Stores.

I'm glad now that I did purchase that USB thumb drive copy.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Lion is still under my purchases for download. I always make discs of my software, even the download ones like Adobe CS. Find it much faster to install that way then go through the download again, especially with the larger ones like OS X and Adobe CS.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,976 Posts
When I downloaded Lion, I immediately made a duplicate before I made a USB stick to install Lion.

Today I happened to hit Launchpad by mistake, (I never use it) and lo and behold, there were both Lion and Mountain installers. If everyone did this, Apple pulling it would not be an issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
When I downloaded Lion, I immediately made a duplicate before I made a USB stick to install Lion.

Today I happened to hit Launchpad by mistake, (I never use it) and lo and behold, there were both Lion and Mountain installers. If everyone did this, Apple pulling it would not be an issue.
It still is an issue for people who have hardware that cannot support 10.8 but can support Lion but who are still on SL.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.