Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was anyone else as Underwhelmed about what they were showing off for 10.7 as I was?

Really? Thats it? I'm not seeing anything thats making me excited for an upgrade. If it comes out at $30 like Snow Leopard did I guess I'll buy it. But anymore then that and I'm just not sure the features they showed off today are good enough.

Yawn!! :yawn:

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I certainly hope that what was shown is not the best of Lion. I don't want my Mac to behave like an iPad. I want to have multiple windows for dragging and dropping and easy switching and swapping. I don't want to have to have a multi-touch mouse to make things work properly.

Dumbing down the Mac as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
i dont understand why you need the ios stuff on a mac. Im not planning on getting an ipad anymore cause the macbook air comes with a real keyboard. Im going to upgrade to it, but if its just like ios im going back to snow leopard.

·
Registered
732 Posts
i just read up on it and whatnot and i hate it.

there becomes a point where a computer and a tablet and a cellphone have to differ from each other.

i at first thought and still think that the ipad isn't computer-ish enough, and now the macs are becoming more ipad like. i'm not impressed.

i like ilife 11 and facetime and the new macbook airs though!

still no white iphone 4 :(

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Underwhelmed with 10.7 would be a huge understatement AFAIK and for what I need and use with our Macs, and I'm still underwhelmed with Mac OS 10.6.x and what it was touted to be.

As arstechnica.com said, as did Apple along the same lines, "... the release is heavily focused on performance and nailing down speed and stability." Yeah right, and I'm still waiting!!!

Or wikipedia, "...Unlike previous versions of Mac OS X, the goals with Snow Leopard were improved performance, greater efficiency and the reduction of its overall memory footprint. Addition of new end-user features was not a primary goal. Much of the software in Mac OS X was extensively rewritten for this release in order to fully take advantage of modern Macintosh hardware. New programming frameworks, such as OpenCL, were created, allowing software developers to use graphics cards in their applications. This is also the first Mac OS release since the introduction of System 7.1.2 that does not support the PowerPC architecture, as Apple now intends to focus on its current line of Intel-based products."

Yup, Yeah right, and I'm still waiting!!!

But maybe my 24" 2.4 GHz Intel iMac with high speed HD and 4 GB RAM is just not up to all the "improvements", not to mention many recent applications and evenly some recent printers that failed to work.

Yeah right, and I'm still waiting!!!

The "performance and nailing down speed and stability" or even proper "usability" never came to be, hence my Intel iMac is running everything and fast and reliably with Mac OS 10.5.8 thanks, and I will admit it has been "stripped" with a smaller HD footprint than the 10.6.4 volume!!!

So yes, a big Yawn here with a "new and improved" OS that I might look at, but probably not as my main reliable working 10.5.8 replacement.

And, oh yes, did I mention that our old HP Laserjet 4ML Mac serial AppleTalk printer connected via an AsanteTalk adapter, now into the third 5,000 pages box of paper and just a $40.00 cartridge replacement needed last year is still working with all wired and wireless Macs, and even a visiting windows 7 using nephew, from a G3 DT OS 9 Mac to a MBP running 10.6.4, and oh yes, our wireless router went kaput last month so the iMac has become the wireless access point.

Try doing that when running 10.6.x, leave alone 10.7!!!

Yup, BIG Yawn!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
From what I can see there are some new features that they have borrowed from the iOS, but pro users will likely never touch that stuff anyway. Things like full screen apps are kind of neat, and i'm sure they will work fine with Apples apps, but what about Adobe's creative suite? The stuff I use every day likely won't work, not without another expensive upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good. So it wasn't just me. Really? They're showing off the applications opening up all over the screen in a grid like an iPad? Who cares? Mission control looks like BS control IMHO.

Sounds to me that the only improvements they're making are ones that can play nicely with the new Mac app store.

Does apple really want me to pay to upgrade so that I can have my OS play nicely with they're new store? No thank you!!

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
One thing that felt really backwards to me was the focus on full-screen, one thing at a time. I thought the iPhone / iPad worked that way because it could only do one thing at a time. So bringing that to the Mac really feels like a dumbing / crippling move.

The other thing that made me wonder is, what about those of us who use more than one monitor? I run my Macs dual-head, specifically because I can have eleventeen windows open and see them all at the same time and work with them all at the same time.

There wasn't a single thing in the 10.7 demo that appealed to me.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of things that would appeal to my senior-citizen parents, such as the way apps install themselves. My dad's never figured out how to install things. Ditto for my 10 year old neice, Lion would make the computer much more friendly for her.

I just hope that those are not the only two markets that Apple is thinking about.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
They always throw some eye candy in to the system, but pro users are only interested in performance. Thankfully, Apple has never disappointed in that department.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'm not entirely sure I like the way Mission Control replaces Spaces.... I'll have to try it to know for sure.
I thought Mission Control replaces expose?

I am indifferent about Lion also. I am sure some of the new features will be useful, but I am also concerned that OSX will start being too much like iOS.

One thing I am liking is the MacApp store concept we will see on Snow Leopard. I think that from a usability standpoint they are bang on with easy updates, install etc. Although its actually not that hard on a Mac. This also reminds me of Ubuntu's Software Centre. I think the 70/30 split is a bit steep though.

I wonder at what point can Apple not introduce "new" features, as eventually pretty much everything will be covered.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
i dont understand why you need the ios stuff on a mac. Im not planning on getting an ipad anymore cause the macbook air comes with a real keyboard. Im going to upgrade to it, but if its just like ios im going back to snow leopard.
Agreed. Macbook Air is an iPad with a keyboard. I might upgrade. Although, I already have a MBP!

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I'm in the wait and see camp...I wasn't excited by the announcements but at the same time I'm not going to dismiss it out right until I see more and likely play with it some more once its released.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Well, I for one think this whole discussion is waaayyy premature, it is just a sneak peak, not the whole list of added features or performance benefits. Why not just hold your collective horses and wait and see the full array of what is to be offered before passing judgement and getting your knickers in a knot.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
well, i for one think this whole discussion is waaayyy premature, it is just a sneak peak, not the whole list of added features or performance benefits. Why not just hold your collective horses and wait and see the full array of what is to be offered before passing judgement and getting your knickers in a knot.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I'd never recommend an Air to anybody. a 13" MBP is a far better computer for the same price. An iPad will not replace a computer for anybody that does anything more than surf the web or check email. If you do real work, you need a computer, and a MBP is the best choice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow. Great to know that it's not just me. If this is what Lion has to offer, then no thanks, I'll stick with the snowy cat.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm willing to bet that most people in denial today about Lion will, in fact, upgrade to Lion. ;) (And we'll all get used to it regardless when new machines ship with Lion pre-installed and no longer support Snow Leopard.)

I agree with what 'screature' has said. Way too premature to jump to conclusions about Lion based on a sneak preview.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts