Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok don't laugh, I don't have my hands to deep in regular Mac service tasks these days. :)

My friend had an iMac. System decided to give up the ghost hardware wise. Was able to get home folder off the the drive. They were using 10.4

I got a more recent used Mac for them running 10.5. Am I able to just dump the users folder in the appropriate spot and rock and roll? :)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Shouldn't be any compatibility problems going forward - apps that need to upgrade their support files will do it.

You may have issues with permissions, but nothing that isn't easily fixable.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Not quite that simple. It's not just dragging and dropping.

Once the user account folder has been dropped into the Users folder, you need to create a user account under System Preferences with the same short name as the user folder in the Users folder - with the same password as the password that was set on that user account. (It will ask you if you want to use the pre-existing user folder already in there - say yes.)

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What if I create user folders that are the same name (Make up my own default passwords), then drop the contents of those user folder in their respective places?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts