Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm hoping you can help with this interesting case. My buddy is running 10.4.8 on a 2.1GHz G5 iMac with 2.5GB RAM. When he runs Software Update the response is that are no new updates available at this time.

Clearly a lie!

So he proceeded to apple.com for the 10.4.9 PPC combo update. The install process goes well until he is asked asked to select a volume to install the update. He selects his drive, which has 232GB (103 GB Free).

He then gets a message that states "Installing this software requires 506MB of space". "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined (PowerPC) on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

He has repaired permissions, deleted preferences and Onyxed and still get this error.

If anyone has any *insight into this issue please help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Archive and Install OS from original discs, and then run Software Update thereafter. Sounds like OS corruption at first guess.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars
We've tried all sorts of stuff and have come to the same conclusion - Archive and Install. He's just SuperDuper-ing and then will do it.

Any ideas what can cause this?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hard to say what will cause this, to be honest. Some problems don't have any real obvious explanation. Did any previous Software Updates get botched, by chance? Has the system been archived and re-installed in the past? Just a few guesses at what could potentially cause OS corruption in some cases.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No obvious issues and no installs since the iMac was purchased in Jan '06. Just one of those things. I'll choose to blame it on the user....:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts