Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 10.3.2 on my ibook 800 640 ram, 30 gig, combo etc etc...it now boots way sssslllloooowwwweeeerrr...it gets the the desktop pic fast but then it takes awile for the dock to appear and the top finder bar, and then finally the harddrive etc...so just to let people know...will see what it's like tomorrow...if any better after a few restarts....I also ran cocktail to see if that helps....Mark

once Panther is loaded it runs just fine with no major speed increase..it's just start up time thats slower..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Panther's latest update actually FIXED one serious problem I had. Newly minted NVIDIA graphics drivers fixed that redraw problem I had with GeForce 4MX card on my G4 Sawtooth.

Yay! I have Quartz Extreme again!

Yay! the DVD Player doesn't crash every time I try and run it!

I bet even NeverWinter Nights will run now! (it kept crashing on start up too)

It's nice to have a double-digit frame rate for games once again!

Didn't notice a slowdown anywhere on my system.

:cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmm, there seems to be mixed reports on 10.3.2 and its performance. I'll install it nevertheless and report back on how it goes for me. I sure I hope I don't get any slow-downs in the Finder - I can't afford to let my 400 MHz iMac get any slower.

·
Registered
292 Posts
just installed 10.3.2 on my powerbook g4 12" rev a 867

the fan has been on since i restarted after install

i checked on spymac and it seems that someone else is getting the same thing on the same machine...

i'll keep ya posted..

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok after a shutdown, and a then a startup the fan is off...

everything seems fine so far...
am draining my battery now...

got a friend with a dp mdd that is reporting kernal panics when putting his machine into sleep mode now with 10.3.2
and have heard a few minor safari glitches...

anyone else reporting any 10.3.2 probs/glitches??

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Same Unit, exactly the same issues. Will try a shut down as well.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, 10.3.2 totally still sucks on the ibook...and my clock is staying an hour behind? but the biggest problem is the startup time is sickening...it gets to the desktop picture...then the spinning rainbow starts spinning...then EVENTUALY the dock appears, then the finder bar, then my harddrive etc and I do mean this is VERY slow compared with 10.3.1...and the harddrive is churning hardcore too while everything is loading...I have 640 ram so what gives?? Mark

and while the ibook just sits there with no screen savor on the harddrive makes alittle noise all by itself? is that normal?

·
Registered
609 Posts
10.3.2 runs great on Wallstreet 300 test machine here :cool: Still smooth as 10.3.1...on an unsupported machine.
Safari, iTunes are opening in one bounce!!!
Booting's faster, generally everything feels faster than TiBook 667 with 10.1.5 that I have to upgrade to Jaguar later today.(Ok, maybe not iTunes visuals...but the Open GL and screensaver is smoother now on Wallstreet than with Jag)

Repairing permissions, fscking before and after uprades, app installs seems to help avoid problems.
Still not running Panther full-time on my main work machine, but when Matrox and DigiDesign release their new drivers and a few other bugs are worked out, whoooey!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Saw posts about that on MacInTouch and also in Apple Discussions. Think I'll wait till this shakes down.
just installed 10.3.2 on my powerbook g4 12" rev a 867

the fan has been on since i restarted after install

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
The jury's still out on speed imprvements on my end. I ran Xbench on 10.3.1 and then retested after the upgrade (repairing permissions before and after the upgrade). the results:

10.3.1:
overall 57.36
CPU 48.92
Thread 40.85
memory 76.25
Quartz 74.95
open GL 54.40
GUI 101.88
Disk 44.51

10.3.2:
overall 55.70
CPU 51.10
Thread 40.92
memory 72.52
Quartz 75.81
open GL 53.67
GUI 99.21
Disk 38.49

This, on a G4/450/1GB/ATI 9000 Pro.

One curveball in this is that I'm using a different skin or theme on my Aqua GUI.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yea the fan is on nonstop on this powerbook and it's kind of annoying....
even playing mp3's with itunes cause the fan to start up right away, right from a cold startup...

i hope they bring out a fix for this A.S.A.P.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay doing a fresh install this is really annoying!! but I think it might be conflicting with other stuff I have installed?? maybe? but even the finder seems generally slower..I have ran ONYX and cocktail to no avail...and everything else I can think of...after I do a fresh install I will again update to 10.3.2 and see if it still happens..

will post back my findings..

I have a theme changer installed

I have sidetrack installed

I have some other goodies installed too!

I won't install them until after the 10.3.2 update

my fan is fine BTW so no probs there for me...

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
OK, Powerbook G4/12"/867/640/Superdrive.

My fan is acting completely differently. It will come on and go off at times where normally it wouldn't. What I can say is this:

1 - The powerbook is much cooler to the touch at all times.
2 - The battery life has extended by at least 45 minutes.

Theory is this, fan issue has nothing to do with 10.3.2 and more to do with the battery update. Perhaps Apple has balanced the cooling a little more to extend the battery. While you would think the fan would would use more juice, I don't think it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts