Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well as a battery performance update for laptops. Santa has come early. I've installed 10.3.2 on a 17" powerbook and a Cube with no issues encountered.

Yum yum.....

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Hurray For New Drivers and battery performance upgrades. It is suggested you recalibrate your battery after installing the battery upgrade to be on the safe side. Those who found their times to decrease had them increase a good half hour after calibration (minimum, seen several reports of one hour also).

·
Registered
129 Posts
how do you recalibrate the battery?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
To recablibrate the battery run it down to where the computer goes to sleep automatically and then charge it right back up. (Use the computer as you would do so normally, so the time shown in the battery bar is as accurate as possible, since its only a pretty good estimate.)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Run it down (by unplugging the AC adaptor) until you've 5 min or so left then reconnect the AC adaptor and fully recharge. My batteries seem fine after the Battery Update 1.1.

I've noticed one odd behaviour in 10.3.2 in that the new version of Mail (1.3.2 v610/609) seems to register mail filtered as Junk as being new in the little red sticker on the Dock Mail icon. Apparently, the new ATI drivers work much better with Halo too.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Alright! An update.....
Maybe I should wait a little to update, and read others experiences first to see if it is safe.

Hmmmm.

Got.....
To....
Fight ....
The ....
Urge ....
To ....
Update....

tick, tick, tick......

Damn! :mad:

~ Apple Menu > Software Update > Downloading > Installing Ahhhhh!
:D

I love Apple!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
jwoodget - Triple post? I thought that would have been reserved only for 10.3 or even 10.3.3 not 10.3.2 which should have given you a double post.

Pardon the typo, I think my cable modem wanted to get a word in for working so hard all these years, never going down, and the rare occasion it did a nice reset button fixed everything.

They beta tested this one heavily and there were 4 or 5 releases to developers so I doubt we'll get another 10.2.8 Heart. Optimization is taking its time though.

Who here thinks Heart is a good natured sucker for a software update? *raises hand* Of course that means I'm one too.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For what it's worth the new drivers don't seem to do a whole lot for Halo (at least not on my PowerBook G4 1.25GHz or my PowerMac 1.6GHz).

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Optimizing now!
< - That is a smiley face! ;)

I like seeing lots of updates, when apple has not updated for a while I will even get antsy for a security update. Just to insure that the Software Update feature is still working.

click, click, click Yahoo!

Is that what the kids are calling it these days Software Sucker

--

Watching jfpooles Avatar and mine together is making me dizzy,

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The iBook I'm on took its sweet time restarting, but things seem to be a little speedier, and battery life is weird:

Battery Percentage before restart:
85% (2:23 remaining)

Battery Percentage after restart:
87% (2:35 remaining)

Currently at 80% saying 2:37 left and running at full screen brightness, Airport on, etc.

APPENDUM: At 75% and it says 2:40 left. How does that work? :confused: I guess I have to recommend recalibrating your batteries.

Recalibrating now.

[ December 17, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Sweet... time to run Software Update! :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmmm, users on MacRumor's are reporting an increase in how long it takes their Macs to boot after the 10.3.2 update and slightly more sluggish. Now I'm not sure I want to run Software Update... (although chances are I will regardless :D )

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - People are also reporting their computers are running more snappy. I know the iBook I updated was slower to start up at first, but got snappier. eg. iTunes normally took 2 to 3 bounces is down to 1 or 2.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just applied 3.2 and all seems well.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Repaired permissions using Disk Utility, installed the 10.3.2 update, repaired permissions again, then restarted. My G5 is just as snappy as it was under 10.3.1; all is peachy...

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've installed 3-5 of this weeks updates on three machines (desktop and laptop which is why not all updates on all machines) and run Repair Permissions on each after the installs. None had any permissions to repair. Methinks Apple has instigated some sort of fix for permission errors (which is good - since when is such esoterica "Mac-like"?).

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Actually when I ran the permissions repair before & after the upgrade, there were no corrections reported. It's just a habit of mine, running Disk Utility like that when there's an upgrade released. I started doing it after seeing the practise recommended by Helpers on the Apple Discussion Boards a while back.

Since upgrading to Panther in November, my weekly-run Repairs have reported few, if any corrections - less than I've ever seen before. Interesting. Maybe Panther isn't as prone to permissions problems as Jaguar & earlier versions of OS X?

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I noticed the same, Doug. I installed the 10.3.2 update along with Java 3D, iTunes 4.2, Quicktime 6.5 and when I ran repair permissions, it only corrected two items and those two items seem to always be there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts