Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Mac OS X 10.3.1 (Build 7C103): Although currently less than 500K in size and only patching a handful of Storage I/O, Loginwindow, and other system functions, 10.3.1 is expected to eliminate problems with data corruption on Firewire 800 storage devices, fix a handful of user-level crash bugs, and may modestly improve startup performance and Fast User Switching.

However, the final release of 10.3.1, expected in 1-2 weeks, will be around 7C120 and should be closer to 2MB in size, including a number of other code changes written by Apple's Panther team during the 7C series but not yet integrated into the main branch of the update. Java is expected to work properly in some situations where users have updated from Jaguar and certain applications fail to properly access Java 1.4.1; performance on some older G3 systems which were updated from Jaguar may also improve. More on 10.3.1 as testing continues"

from MacOS Rumors :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
macdoc - MacOSRumors is as dependable for accuracy as Fox News is for unbiased reporting. Try MacRumors, which gets everything from everywhere and is a heck of a lot more dependable. MacOSRumors info can be found from anyone who has ADC access too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hopefully 10.3.1 will be out soon =)
I personally know of a few people that are holding back from upgrading to Panther until X.3.1 comes out so that it is a little less buggy.

=)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I'm running 10.3.1 (Build 7C105) right now. It's hard to tell if it fixes any bugs as I have been bug free on this machine.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posterboy as with Chealion I'm just reporting - I use about dozen "sources" from the official to the most underground and make up my own mind. This one just fit the reality as I saw it ( yes for once with MOSR
)

Thanks for Railhead tho that was new for me. :cool:

Andrew I agree Panther has been so stable here with the exception of the Firewire issue that it's hard to pin down progress tho the filevault issue is very obvious.
Our only consistent issue is loss of printing if a utility isn't run quite frequently.
If the machine stays up and awake it never happens - only after sleep most often. Filemaker will lose communication at times too again only after sleep.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chealion I didn't comment on the accuracy, I just relayed the story. It fits with what we are hearing and was a reasonable summary. If you've got more or different info then please add it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
macdoc - Sorry if the comment came across negatively. Not much to add, but its good to know that 10.3.1 is now in testing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I installed Panther on Thursday, and so far my only beef is that iCal takes a lot longer to start up. I'm at a loss to figure out why that might be. I assume, though, that any update would have a variety of bug fixes -- some of which are bound to be useful.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hey macdoc, heres a list of the updated file on the 10.3.1 update I installed.

./Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Info.plist ./Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal ./Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/version.plist ./System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist ./System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Info.plist ./System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/version.plist ./System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/loginwindow ./System/Library/CoreServices/webdavfs.bundle/Contents/Info.plist ./System/Library/CoreServices/webdavfs.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings ./System/Library/CoreServices/webdavfs.bundle/Contents/version.plist ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOStorageFamily ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Removable.icns ./System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/version.plist ./System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Info.plist ./System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/MacOS/webdav_fs ./System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/version.plist ./System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home/lib/security/java.security ./System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/lib/security/java.security ./System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist ./sbin/mount_webdav ./usr/libexec/load_webdav ./usr/share/man/man8/mount_webdav.8

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well good old MOSR was right on this time.....sorry couldn't resist
;) :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hey, I hear ya! When you've been around macs long enough, you know where to get reliable information from. MOSR is a pretty reliable source in my books.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Right on? Hunh? They said build 7C120, the distributed version was 7C107, while Apple had released 7C103 to the developers.

MOSR used to be good, not anymore through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts