Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll see if it helps any of my problems!

Please post your findings after you download!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
apparently the infamous firewire drive corruption issue has been traced back to firmware. installing the 10.1 update will NOT fix the problem, but apparently updating your firmware will.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a firewire drive. Oh......well actually....I guess I do...my ipod.

What firmware am I supposed to download for this??

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
There have been some reports of FireWire 400 drives losing Data as well. This update does fix SOME issues related to the problem (I am guessing iPod related issues), but they still say to upgrade your drives FirmWare in case.
It also has some updates to help with FileGuard as well as a few security Updates

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Downloaded and installed flawlessly, like every other update in the past. Good stuff. ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the update seemed to have given me another 30-45 minutes on my battery power! We'll see if it's *real* juice.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Pamela raises a good point. If both FW 400 & 800 drives are at risk, is the ipod also in danger of file corruption? Anybody know for certain?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Only FW 800 drives were affected, and it was because of drive firmware not following the FireWire spec properly. Thus, firmware updates have been issued.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Apparently some sites have retracted reports of issues with FW400 drives. I have a Lacie FW400 drive, so I'd be interested if anyone has any links to confirmed reports and/or firmware updates for FW400.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only firewire drives or enclosures with the Oxford Semiconductor 922 (OW922) OHCI Bridge controller are affected. Since only USB 2.0/FW800 or FW800-only enclosures use this chipset (FW400 drives use the OW911 bridge), then in all likelyhood, FW400 drives such as the iPod will not be affected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts