Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click on Software Update and enjoy!

There has been no speed increase for me, and besides maybe a few new things in Finder I can't find any other improvements in Safari or the other apps.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it by 10 minutes!

[ September 22, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: bloodyface ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Woot! *commence downloading*

It doesn't work with the G5's - looks like 10.2.7 is the last update for G5's; 10.3 is next. :cool:

[ September 22, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
just installed the update. it could totally just be my imagination but finder window resizing seems a lot smoother on my not quartz extreme G4.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
40.6 MB? Hefty update. Hate to be those on dial up. Will be updating when I get home. Though I don't use Bluetooth. MacCentral says there are enhancements for Safari, but it doesn't seem that anyone has noticed them.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Just a little warning.

This update appears to kill Transparent Dock for those who have this installed.

A good alternative Clear Dock

[ September 22, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: adagio ]

·
Registered
223 Posts
For anyone with iBooks, this update kills that annoying clicking sound from the speakers when running on battery power :D

Its about friggin time too.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Awesome! I didn't even realize I had 10.2.8 installed!

I was formatting my HD this morning and just selected everything to update. I didn't even realize the OS was a different version until I saw this post!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
b/w rev. B G3/500 512MB RAM and it has slowed things down for me.
using ATA/66 card with hard drive

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
macspectrum, did you repair permissions right after the update? Many times this will correct any problems with an install.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
macspectrum, did you repair permissions right after the update? Many times this will correct any problems with an install.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Someday, maybe I'll be able to read the U2 Band News section in Safari. :( After everyupdate that mentions Safari, its the first thing I check. No dice this time again. :rolleyes:

I really want to delete IE of my drive!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
There have been some problems with some audio
cards that won't work with this update, I'd check with the
card manufacturers first to see if there are any driver
updates before you update your system software, Or at
the very least...Make a backup first before you install
the update.

Check at www.xlr8yourmac.com for information on this
latest update before you install.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
seems to have totally sucked my battery life...what the hell??! My full battery is now reading 1:35?!

and I'm having to click ok to all the access things like passwords etc that used to just automatically go through...

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Pamela, whenever there's an OS update, Keychain will ask you to confirm your password permissions - just click on the "always" option. Also, there's been some discussion on other boards about battery life; some knowledgeable-seeming posters have said just let your machine run for a while & the battery life meter should recalibrate.

In any case this update works just fine for me - my FP iMac seems a wee bit snappier overall and I don't think it's just wishful thinking on my part. System Preferences now loads in 2 bounces where it used to be 3 or 4; boots & restarts are much quicker too. Plus a long-standing issue where the first sound played after a cold boot or a restart (whether music or a system alert) would kind of crackle & you'd only get the last half of the sound, seems to be gone now. Gonna experiment a bit to confirm. Anyway, I'm a happy camper with this update. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
the only weird thing was it changed my display from millions of colours to thousands. but that was easily changed back. no other probs here!

p.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same thing happened to me as with emceepj. First thing I noticed was my monitor (Flat Screen Studio Display) didn't look the same. Duller and not as sharp. Check out some preferences and noticed that it defaulted to Thousands of colours after updating. Weird. If you haven't check you may want to. So far I haven't really noticed much difference.

I also just updated to an 80 MB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache HD last week. Smooth transition from my 40/5400/2MB using Carbon Copy Cloner but, again, was disappointed by not really noticing any speed improvements. Guess I'll have to start saving for the G5 and hope that Panther speeds things up on the QS in the meantime.

One last note about Safari. Like ehmax I still have to keep IE around for a few things like internet banking with CIBC (it works technically but I get an annoying plug in error on every page) and, unfortunately, ehmac.ca. Believe it or not, I have Bullets (Option-8) in my Username that aren't recognized using Safari so I can't log in. I could always create a new user on ehMac but that would be my third and I've grown partial to what I've got.

I'm done.
Macman.

[ September 23, 2003, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: •MACMAN• ]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts