Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pretty well known problem with some Macs and the 10.2.8 update, but I've never had a problem with any OS X update until this one.

It's nothing major, but my iMac DV 400 now hangs at boot and takes twice as long to boot then before I installed the update. Weird, huh? Otherwise, it works well.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
At what point is it hanging Lars? Usually it will be at the point where it is lloking for loacal drives. Let me know.

10.2.8, if anything seems a little snappier. My only problem is that since the 10.2.8 update, NAV will no longer scan my ipod, and infact freezes the whole machine. Thus Auto-Scan is now useless.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The iMac hangs right after it the blue bar loads all the extensions and stuff - right before the login screen comes up. Hangs for a good minute or more - spinning beachball.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Have you tried starting in safe mode? Also disconnect any USB or firewire devices and ethernet.

My guess is a login item won't load.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem no longer exists. After optimizing my system, all is normal and booting no longer hangs. Weird.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly is 'Safe Mode' booting?

·
Registered
809 Posts
A Safe Boot is a special way to start Mac OS X 10.2 or later when troubleshooting. Safe Mode is the state Mac OS X is in after a Safe Boot. Starting up into Safe Mode does three things to simplify the startup and operation of your computer:

It forces a directory check of the startup (boot) volume.
It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).
It runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the items in /Library/Startup Items and /System/Library/Startup items - and different than login items).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Almost, ScriptKiddie, Almost!

Single-User boot is: Command-S

Safe boot is: Shift key AFTER the startup chime

And I'll award 50 points to the first person who can tell me how to designate OS 9 as the startup disk from Single-user mode.

M.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, SK!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have found that my G4 DUAL MDD would boot up slowly and hang before giving me the desktop. This occoured at different times and with different versions of JAGUAR. Optimising my startup disk cured this problem every time. Got to MacUpdate site and download a free utility Onyx 1.2.9, it's totally free and does a great job of keeping your powermac running speedily on JAGUAR.

Here is the link for the ONYX APP:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582
-------------------------------------------------
"You've got to get through that door." - Johnny Depp in the movie Ed Wood

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
CubaMark - Use the bless command.

Personally, I would just start up holding the option key and choose the 9 partition if applicable. Although when normally in 9, just holding command and x when the computer started up would start up OS X if the two systems were on the same partition.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
So...I took the plunge and updated my OS to 10.2.8...and aside from the insane reboot time, all is okay so far.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I do not know what most of the problems are, but I installed 10.2.8 this afternoon as part of the system updater. Since then I have seen no issues on my B&W G3/400, however, as I test further I'll let you know...

Mrvermin

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Thanks Timothy J for the OnyX tip. Installed the update , ran OnyX and all is good in sunny Timmins

1 - 17 of 17 Posts