Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check Software Update.

I think I'll wait a few days, though

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
wicked awesome....my battery is back to normal now (or the meter anyway)

Unfortunately that is still just a measly 2:15 :(

How are all these other people getting over three hours and four hours??!!

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
does the info on the update state whether it fixes the problems witht he last 10.2.8 update? Will I have to downgrade back to 10.2.6 and then update again to 10.2.8?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i updated my b/w G3 from the old 10.2.8

here are the notes from the updater

"The 10.2.8 Update (Build 6R73) includes an updated ethernet driver for 450MHz and 500MHz dual processor Power Mac G4 desktop systems and an update to the battery status menu."

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm definately going to wait a few weeks before I ever update OS X again. After the last sh***y update Apple released 10.2.8 a few weeks ago, I had to erase and reinstall everything on my powermac because it wouldn't even boot up after updating. What a waste of 4 days of my life reconfiguring my mac back to where it was before the update fiasco. Thank the lord all of my project files were backed up on an external firewire disk. Because I would had even more days of work getting them off the program drive.
--------------------------------------------------
"Apple Bad. Fire Good!" - Frankenstien

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is supposed to be a smaller update available to those who suffered the first time, so no need to down grade to 10.2.6.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
that is the one i used
update was quick to download and install and my b/w G3/500 has never been this peppy under OS X

·
Registered
470 Posts
macspectrum and ryeman were right. there is a much smaller update for those that already installed the "old" 10.2.8.

I have seen no problems with the "new" update on a QS733, iMac800, MDD1.25 or PB1.0.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Earlier this week I restored to 10.2.6 from backup, but sure enough my battery indicator was still showing 2 to 2.5 hr on a full charge with minimal power usage. Normal would be 4 to 4.5 hr.

Since the update to 10.2.8 today, my indicator seems back to normal, only slightly different in that during the first few minutes unplugged, it jumps around a lot, sometimes showing 6 to 8 hr for a brief time. After a while the indicator stabilizes to around 4 to 4.5 hr.

Phew. Yay.

Both times I updated to 10.2.8, the bluetooth menu item shows up though I had it turned off. Never saw that with previous updates. Might as well leave it there since my BT mouse shipped on Friday (Yay again)

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Well thankfully the new 10.2.8 update fixed my ethernet problems and everything is back as it should be. If I am having no problems with the old 10.2.8 update on my FP iMac should I still upgrade with the newer upgrade?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If I am having no problems with the old 10.2.8 update on my FP iMac should I still upgrade with the newer upgrade?
Yes, upgrade. The upgrade patch for users who already installed the old 10.2.8 update is under 1 MB in size, so go for it. Download It. Just to be safe about it, and just so you have the proper patch, not a potentially-buggy one. Since the new 10.2.8 fixes a multiple problems, it will be probably be good for your iMac, even if it doesn't currently have problems. The chances of the new patch causing problems for your iMac is pratically zero.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
thanks alot lars I will do that when I get home

·
Registered
728 Posts
Although I did not have any problems with the 'old' 10.2.8, I updated the new patch (very small ~1 mb) and find the battery meter to be more precise after the fix, it shifts to show longer standby time (over 6 hrs) when my powerbook has been idled for over 10 minutes and adjusts according to the usage of the processor & drive etc. my full charge time is +/- 3 hours.
You may 'command' click to drag the bluetooth icon out of the menu bar, when you are ready to install BT in future there will be another check box under BT preference to place it back there.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts