Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie

Anyone who has OS 10.2 or later should run the software update in their system prefs to update to 10.2.3

Alternately, you can run it form the terminal vi the

softwareupdate command

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Well, how 'bout that?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>- Adds a Canadian English language spell checking dictionary.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apple knows we exist after all!

:D

M

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dthompson101:

Alternately, you can run it form the terminal vi the

softwareupdate command
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do people that use the terminal ever leave the terminal?

Anyway I thought I would try doing the software update via the terminl and all I got was:
softwareupdate: Must be run as root

Can't I just sudo root or something or do I need to restart as root. (Then why bother, right!)
----

Update went smooth, no problems yet.

I don't like 'under the hood' updates, they don't give you any ' wiz bang feeling '.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Wait a minute.....

Not softwareupdate command
but just
softwareupdate

Works fine, gave me this:
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002 Apple Computer, Inc.

Your software is up to date.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The terminal is quite fun if you know how to use it... am now downloadin X.2.3 through the terminal...
That and shell scripts make it look real cool...
My prompt just shows Chealion: instead of the usual crap that says username, and your computer address... wow it installs and downloads much faster in the terminal... (From what I can tell)... Crazy fast... Took maybe a minute to download and installing is insanely fast...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no overhead GUI = Faster

·
Registered
55 Posts
So far so good. This is noticeably faster for me than 10.2.2 was--screen redraws, scrolling, Chimera opening web pages, etc. Only hitch was that my 'custom theme' (installed thanks to Themer previously) didn't show up after restart so I was stuck with eyestraining Aqua. A reapplication via Themer solved that.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Is it just me or does iChat look a little different? Specifically, the close/min/max buttons?

Either way, it is installed and running fine on my iBook.

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Yeah the buttons are inset, or maybe they just don't have the drop shadow....

I saw this in a couple of other programs that I recently dwnld'd.

I like the buttons to hover with drop shadow. Maybe I have to get use to it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Overall, I've found 10.2.3 much more "zippy" in that the speed improvement on my computer is immense... Seems just as fast as OS 9! But it could just be I've now gotten completely used to OS X and know all the shortcuts I want...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion wrote:
"My prompt just shows Chealion: instead of the usual crap that says username, and your computer address... "

The usual crap is pretty handy, though, if you're sitting at a console wondering just who and where you are (as I often do) ;)

Maybe I'm just getting senile.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So far so good!

Had a couple bugs after the update. Couldn't move things to the trash with the Command-Delete key combo and couldn't scroll with the arrow keys. But a quick Repair Permissions with Disk Utility and a restart and all is well again.

Seems a little zippier all round. Don't like the sunken widgets though. Looks like a mistake more than anything. Normal widgets almost everywhere except in some Apple programs like iChat, Address Book, Calculator and iCal but not iTunes, iPhoto, Quicktime or Preview. Very strange.

Will report any other changes and or bugs I come across.

Macman.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have had no problems at all with Jaguar. 10.2.3 seems significantly faster on my machine. iPhoto and iTunes are loading up notciably faster.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
After a brief run with the 10.2.3 update (about 2 hours) I can report that it's noticeably faster than 10.2.2; web browsing seems significantly speedier (page loads, etc).

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 10.2.3 upgrade has reinstated the operation of my HP D135 which was brought to its knees going from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2

·
Registered
259 Posts
Holy Jeez! A 51MB update!

My poor Mom. It's gonna take YEARS with her 56K modem. I, on the other hand, will have it installed across the board in just a few moments...

-SJ.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts