Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via software update:

The 10.2.2 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications and technologies: Address Book, iChat, IP Firewall, Mail, Print Center, Rendezvous, Sherlock and Windows file service discovery. The update also includes the updated services previously delivered in Security Update 2002-09-20.

Seems fine to me. No major surprises or problems. Looks like an under the hood release along with the ability to enable journaling (doubt I will enable this though as it has a 10% performance penalty and OS X is not known as a speed demon).

1 GHz powerbooks are also available in Apple Stores in the US. Expect em at CompuSmart by 2003 :(

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts

Here are a couple of my favorite things included in this update.

Thank you Apple.

• Addresses an issue in which an iDisk would appear with an inaccurate 1GB capacity and 1023 MB available
• Adds support for additional third-party disc burners, including: LaCie d2 48x24x48x
• Reduces occurrences of "missing text" when browsing some web pages. I get this on the ehMac site.
• Reduces the time required for switching between Sherlock channels

Successful smooth update.

In simple terms, what is journalling?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In simple terms, what is journalling?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an explanation of what a journaled file system (JFS) is here. Simply put, the benefit of running a JFS is that if your computer ever crashes, then your filesystem isn't corrupted. The only drawback that I can think of is that a JFS is slower than a regular FS.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Updated to X.2.2 and no apparent change for me...

As for journaled, perfect for businesses paranoid of a crash (but why would OS X crash? ;) )

More security for the business side... Apple must definitely be trying to win more ppl over

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:

As for journaled, perfect for businesses paranoid of a crash (but why would OS X crash? ;) )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming OS X doesn't crash (ha ha), there's always power failures and hardware failures.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
[qb]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming OS X doesn't crash (ha ha), there's always power failures and hardware failures.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also more important for Servers.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, the Journalling is a feature more targeted at server users. In fact, i think there is a button is OS X Server 10.2.2 to enable it, and in OS X Client 10.2.2 it has to be enabled in the terminal.

On a good server there are two main things that are usually included. Monitoring and redundancy.

One thing that I have been reading lately about the Xserve is that while the monitoring is far above average, he redundancy is not. The journalling option is a step in the right direction in this regard.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
There have been some really wierd reports about the update to 10.2.2. Check out Macfixit and the Apple Support Discussion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I forwarded my post at ehMac's Emergency Room to MacFixIt, so now at least more people know about it and maybe it will be resolved sooner.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bjornbro,

Do you have any HP printer drivers installed for USB connected HP printers? It seems that there is a major incompatibility with certain HP USB drivers and it slows some systems to a crawl. I don't know about effects on iSub though. My iMac doesn't have this problem under 10.2.2. There's info on this at MacInTouch. HP laserprinter drivers seem OK (at least for me).

I haven't had any issues with 10.2.2 but it never does much harm to wait a couple of weeks for the impetuous early adoptors (like me) to experience any problems.....

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by used to be jwoodget:
Do you have any HP printer drivers installed for USB connected HP printers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word, no. My problem began with the advent of the latest update (yesterday). I was hoping someone else out there with an iSub could confirm this problem,

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm...... Our iMac DV SE 400 MHz, 384 Mb RAM OS 10.2.2 is having no problems with iSub operation Or anything else). I have a USB hub and its plugged into that.

I'm sorry I can't offer any insight into your bug.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
A couple little glitches here too!

One Kernel Panic ( Very polite but still a panic )

iDisk is also giving me -36 error (off and on)

Tried iPhoto - share a homepage and have not been able to connect. I can connect via .Mac and my web browser.

Random IE spinning pinwheel, it just keeps going and going and going.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts