Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

10.10 Yosemite - WIFI issues

8K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  rgray 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I have had my wifi drop on occasion, it is not regular, but annoying when it happens. This is an a rMBP. I have had my bluetooth drop a few times for my mouse and keyboard, again not regular but definitely annoying.

#5 ·
WiFi has been a nightmare for me since RC2. Turns out it isn't because of the beta because my wife's macbook pro is having all kinds of trouble too.

It's somewhat stabilized: I have a time capsule which routes our internet traffic, and had a AEBS connected in bridge mode to distribute wifi. Since I turned off the AEBS things seem a little better, though one side of our house doesn't have as good a connection anymore!

Since doing that, and assigning IPs directly via DHCP, our Hostname problems are gone too. Before, the hostname would increment at will.

#6 · (Edited)
In Yosemite WiFi has been quite stable for me.

The only thing about Yosemite/WiFi is the MB makes a new(?) sound whenever it first picks up the WiFi signal upon waking etc. I don't know how to describe this sound other than as a laser-ish 'thwoop' at a fairly high frequency.... :).

Has anyone noticed this also - or have I been asleep at the wheel, lo these many years?

#9 ·
Apple just released 10.10.1 to developers :fingers crossed:

#11 ·
I was having problems with my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro. I went into Network preferences, made 'Wifi' service inactive by clicking the cog in the list window, rebooted, added a new Wifi connection and named it Wifi2.

That seemed to have solved it. Now that 10.10.1 is out, I can't say if the update did anything for wifi stability.

#13 ·
Yup… and maybe a fix for those who could use it. I'm staying where I am for now thanks and every things working well enough for me with 10.9.5.

"While it is unclear what improvements the first update to OS X Yosemite will bring, there are several bugs in the operating system including a major Wi-Fi issue that has caused connection problems for a number of users.

Apple is asking developers to focus on Wi-Fi …"

Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite Beta to Developers - Mac Rumors

#17 ·
My rMBP definitely has WiFi issues... connecting to DLink routers appears nigh-impossible. Reception appears to be much weaker than my late-2011 MBP. This could be a major issue in my office, but the techs have just made a mass purchase of new Linksys routers, so as they are replaced things should clear up a bit.

#19 ·
No updates averrable for me either. Sure it is not a developer update? Yosemite worked great at first on my rMBP but after time it seemed to get worse. Daily wifi drops, bluetooth drops as well. Also it shows multiple of the same computer in my network shared places. Hopefully this gets resolved very soon.

#20 ·
I don't have a developer account. Could it be they push it to all beta testers? I had 10.10 beta before.

I did notice a build number next to the update when i updated last night. Will get a screenshot when i get home.

#23 · (Edited)
here is my install of 10.10.1

[delete image]

Welcome to Apple's Developer World ---- I guess. ;)

But maybe you're an AppleSeeder… bold mine.

" The beta can be downloaded through the Updates tab in the Mac App Store for users who have joined the AppleSeed pre-release program or developers running beta versions of OS X. It should also be available in the Mac Developer Center. "

Read more at Apple seeds beta of first OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 update to developers and AppleSeed users | 9to5Mac

#25 ·
OH yeah, i am an appleseeder. I was part of the Yosemite beta program but I stayed registered because i wanted to continue receiving updates.

Anyhow, what's wrong with posting the serial number? It doesn't store personal information.

#26 ·
To all of you experiencing Yosemite network troubles out here: would you please derail IPv.6 in System Preferences>Network>Advanced to the IP beginning with fe80::/64, being Link Local? And post if problems persist or are solved?
Just trying to find out if these issues have anything to do with IPv.4 interfering with IPv.6, and maybe older routers which cannot handle IPv.6.
Your router brand name, type and serial# are welcome for the same reason.
Thank you!

#27 ·
Hey people,
Say no more. You know what has happened with the introduction of OS 10.10 Yosemite? IPv.6 has just become the system network default!
Everybody with Mavericks' or older migrated IPv.4 settings, as well as everybody with older, IPv.4 hardware (e.g: router) has been left in the dark.
As well as every end user dependent on an ISP not capable of IPv.6 (yet).
The solution is simple: go to your System>Preferences>Network>Advanced and simply manually copy or revert your IPv.4 settings from an older/migrated Mac or restore some kind of IPv.4 setting.
I' m quite confident this will work.
Thank you, nickfromromeoville, to bring me on track.
https://twitter.com/alexharries/status/494807019933945858
With this, I wouldn't wonder if this weren't the same with IOS8 also...
Edit

#28 ·
will have a client try that, thanks for the tip..
will let you know if it worked.

#29 ·
10.10.1 is out
also exchange server update too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.