Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Thank you too for reading through my linked post, pm-r :)
Apparently a bit too much to ask of most people. But hey, a quick fix for Yosemite isn't going to happen, if even Apple and beta testers together are not able to replicate the problem...
About 2 weeks ago 10.10.1 was out on monday night, pulled somewhere during the night, and miraculously reappeared again on tuesday afternoon. No one even knows if it was the same version of 10.10.1 that reappeared. And since 10.10.1 Wifi troubles have considerably gotten worse for some users, it seems.
Whining is abundant as usual on Apple Support>discussions. But posting some interesting system details? Etrecheck reports? Oh no, too much to ask. Ah well, suppose I'm getting old.
PS: wireless diagnostics have been used by far too little plaintiffs in the thread. And many complaints seem to be about common networking troubles easily solved. Which is why I've called the thread a mixed bag.
On the other hand, this Yosemite WiFi/networking issue will probably turn out to be a very complex interaction between OSX, aftermarket obsolete router hardware and/or firmware, and maybe even caused by ISPs changing from old to newer technology (IPv.6, DNSsec, etc.)
Anyhow, time will tell and probably we will never know.

·
Premium Member
16,567 Posts
I guess it would help if all those having the Yosemite Wi-Fi problem would include the Mac model and router or wi-fi base they were using rather than all the "me too" stuff. Maybe their problem would lessen if they were using one of Apple's recent wireless base units - Apple would like that. :D

But I will admit that I didn't realize all the functions the builtin Wireless Diagnostics could do - and that Apple seems to like hiding unless one digs for the tricks and methods just to access it all.

At least they provided some help they Last Modified: Nov 19, 2014 at:
About Wireless Diagnostics - Apple Support

Maybe some with wi-fi problems should check it out. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,567 Posts
That, pm-r, is a wonderful link. Many thanks!

Thanks, I thought I'd keep it on its own this time as it seemed to be buried a bit in my #38 post. And in case anyone had missed it. ;) :D

Actually it's one of Apple's better info/help files I thought, especially compared to some of their others, which can sometimes fail badly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Problem I am having with the 10.10.1 update is that the wifi works at home on WPA Personal, but at work, with WPA Enterprise, I can connect but then no data is flowing. I'm on a 13-inch 2010 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I've disabled the bluetooth, tinkered around in the settings and run the diagnostics, all to no avail - I can't connect to my work wifi.

Any thoughts?

·
You are just an illusion
2,857 Posts
WPA enterprise means you go through 3rd party authentication such as RADIUS. I'm surprised there are still enterprises who use that.
If you are connected and no data go through, that means there is probably an issue with authentication.
Have you tried another device?

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Updated my daughters MBP to Yosemite and now it's dropping wi-fi connections like crazy. The wi-fi thread on the Apple Support forum is 144 pages long, I'm exhausted from reading it.

Bottom line... thousands are waiting for a Yosemite OS update to fix this.

I miss the old days when things were simpler. :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,567 Posts
Updated my daughters MBP to Yosemite and now it's dropping wi-fi connections like crazy. The wi-fi thread on the Apple Support forum is 144 pages long, I'm exhausted from reading it.

Bottom line... thousands are waiting for a Yosemite OS update to fix this.

I miss the old days when things were simpler. :confused:

Did you not make a clone of her pre-existing OS you could boot from and use instead.

And maybe that should be the good old days when things "Just Worked" properly. Mavericks does for me and almost as well as Snow Leopard. .)

·
Indigent Academic
8,165 Posts
And maybe that should be the good old days when things "Just Worked" properly. Mavericks does for me and almost as well as Snow Leopard. .)
Yosemite 'just works' fine on my machine and on SWMBO's computer also, but then both had completely clean installs of Yosemite. I use a 2009 MB, hers is a 2012 MBP.

I would be interested in figuring out the common factor with machines having problem because there are a lot of people having none....

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Did you not make a clone of her pre-existing OS you could boot from and use instead.

I have no problem with Yosemite, but 144 pages on one problem (wi-fi) would indicate a fairly massive problem.

I could downgrade her back to Mavericks (I'm a backup fanatic) but people are expecting a Yosemite update any day now.

·
Indigent Academic
8,165 Posts
I have no problem with Yosemite, but 144 pages on one problem (wi-fi) would indicate a fairly massive problem.

I could downgrade her back to Mavericks (I'm a backup fanatic) but people are expecting a Yosemite update any day now.
People can expect all the want to but Apple only just seeded the 6th Beta of 10.10.2 to developers so it could be a while yet before they release it to the 'great unwashed' (you and I)............... ;)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.