Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
"In less than one week we've broken every record and become the largest online music company in the world,"
said Steve Jobs

Wait till Canadians start buying...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Sure, it's great.. but you have to remember that most of the cash from this is not going close to Apple or Steve Jobs, most of it is getting gobble up by the same record companies that have been popping out the same boring stuff for years. I would love to see what happens once the initial fad has worn off. I love the idea, but will it last.

There are grumblings on the Mac web that several Apple stores might be closing soon. They are not profitable and therefore will probably be shutdown. If the Apple Music Store is still going strong in a year or two, then I will say good for Apple..

Cheers, and it is still an excellent job on Apple's part..

RtC

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
RtC - yes the $$ is not all Apple's, but the fact remains that they were able to sell the music as well. That is still some revenue no matter how it's cut. But some of it will go to the labels and publishing Co.s Why?? The artist-label deal arrangements/details which were signed sometime ago. Many labels happen to be the owners of the mastes etc... they then should get he $$ they're entitled to. Now, what is currently happening (and we've done this as an indie label owner), is retain master ownership and have just asked for distro. Now, the small labels are the owners - people like you and I. Will this change the attitude? Will people buy and not hide behind the 'the artists are not seeing the $$' excuse?? I wonder. But the labels are not immediately the ones to blame//target. There's so much to cover on this issue... could not be done in one post.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
1 000 000!! I was just thinking... this is immense. I wonder what the majors are saying now.. hell all the labels. This downloading model has yet to be perfected - and Apple comes out and does Platinum sales in a week. Wow :eek:

Cheers Apple.

:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Seems like a lot but still it's ONLY $990,000 US that they raked in. This does however, KINDA SHOW US the adoption rate to OS X in the US-- iTunes 4 is OS X only.

Apple will have to accelerate the availability of the online music service to the rest of the world PRONTO -- if bucks are TRULY going to be made. Apple must get the music service out to Windows users SOMEHOW by THIS SUMMER and not by the end of the year.

This is just one tiny picking from the money tree. I hope Apple will get some decent hardware sales because of the iTunes Music Store. One more reason to move to OS X -- Stevie J and many others know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder how much of that actually ends up in Apple's pocket. Remember it's "Downloads done right", which means the proper royalties are being paid.

On a brighter note, they took orders (and sold) a total of 110,000 version 3 iPods MacNN Article - comments are a little weird though!. No wonder they bumped my ship date.

John

·
Registered
246 Posts
I read somewhere (can't find the article or forum right now) that Apple got $0.33 for every song. Makes sense to me.

One million. Awesome.

Cheers!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Yes, Apple supposedly is paid 33 cents but that is before the bandwidth/support/other costs are deducted. Apple won't make much from this in the short term but if the success rate is maintained and Apple manages to rollout international and Windows support, it could add real dollars to the bottom line.

I think we'll see several new "devices" that hook into this that don't require a full blown computer - Rendezvous Airport adaptors for HiFi systems, HiFi juke boxes, etc. Apple primarily makes its money from hardware and securing the content will drive those sales (as it is doing right now for iPods).

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
mmmmmmmm ... Muzic :D

Apple Computer Inc.
AAPL
Current 16.09
Change +1.64 (+11.35%)
Today
Open 14.77
High 16.88
Low 14.75
Volume 27,810,352
Bid 16.15
Ask 16.23
Previous Close 14.45

That's Music to my ears...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Welcome to a new model??

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Time will tell. (iLamps are still doing a respectable 150,000 + units a quarter by the way. )

I think the price isn't bad at $1.50ish Cdn. I'll be buying at that price. Other ways are a lot cheaper (If your time is worth nothing).

I think 1,000,000 songs in one week, with just Mac users and only in the US is freakin huge and will have record companies salivating. Apple is adding another 3,500 songs tommorow and the selection and features of the store will just keep getting better. When they open this up internationally and then to PC users.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is a HUGE homerun for Apple (And the stock-market recognized it with a 11% jump in stock today). Factor in all the iPods they sold just this week!

Huge success.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
again, this is great news. The issue is whether or not some one out there will sit there and open their HD up for sharing. That IS the problem. No one keeps their tracks for private/personal use. If people did, there would not be this current mess. But I guess that we're assuming that once it's been actually paid for, people will more protective of it, correct? Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Originlly posted by Tomac:

Apple must get the music service out to Windows users SOMEHOW by THIS SUMMER and not by the end of the year.
Could you imagine how many songs would have been sold if Apple made iTunes available for Windows users with the launch of the music store???

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Yes, but would they have had the bandwidth for it?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Steve probably would have thought of that.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I like to look beyond the iTunes and Music Store and think this is only part of a major marketing scheme to attract more hardware buyers. Yes, iTunes is amazing software; but the attention it may garner could possibly be worth MUCH more than any revenues from music sales. The emphasis is still on the "digital hub", and these latest offerings certainly put Apple one step closer to cornering a potentially larger market-share.

Funny how the other iApps have been all but forgotten... for the moment! Who's up for a guess on what the next "great thing" will be? How about a library of downloadable movies?

·
Registered
235 Posts
It is a glimmer of hope for not only Apple but music in general. I truly hope this pans out!

For years the large record companies - as opposed to listening to the music buyers - have been building walls around their empires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts