Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple's iPhone could emerge as the most successful product introduction of the 21st century, new research suggests.

Lightspeed Research surveyed 39,000 people on its U.S. online panel in the days following the launch of the device on June 29 -- and the research findings are staggering.

Thirty-two percent of those surveyed who do not currently own an iPhone stated that they do intend to purchase one, with 8 percent planning to purchase in the next three months and 22 percent planning to purchase "some time in the future" the researchers said.

Respondents ages 44 and under plan to purchase at a rate higher than those ages 45 and over. Forty percent of respondents ages 18 to 24 said they are planning to purchase an iPhone some time in the future, followed closely by 25 to 34 year olds (36 percent) and 35 to 44 year olds (33 percent).

Apple has achieved notoriety for the device. Nearly 90 percent of respondents have heard of the device.

Lightspeed Research claims those who live in the Pacific region were nearly twice as likely as those who live in other regions to purchase an iPhone. The New England and Mid-Atlantic regions also showed above average purchase levels.

In an additional survey of 34,000 respondents conducted by Lightspeed Research on 5 July, nearly half of those who would like to own an iPhone stated that the benefits of having music, movie, internet and wireless all in one was the top reason.
PC World - One in Three Americans Wants an iPhone

emphasis mine

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I am an American and I don't want one. So, someone may have mine.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
RTWOM, you may have mine. It is a beauty, I must admit.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I am an American and I don't want one. So, someone may have mine.
Dr.G. votes solidly with the majority his country folk in as much this is only half of his citizenship.

We do not know, as yet, how his Canadian self feels with parting for cash for an iPhone. With the Loonie positioned to catch some thermals the iPhone could be an inexpensive "laptop" :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
BigDL, I don't own a cell phone (have no need of one), I have my wife's old iPod Nano, so I don't need an iPod, and the screen is too small for my vision. I shall pass when one arrives at my door as a gift.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
BigDL, I don't own a cell phone (have no need of one), I have my wife's old iPod Nano, so I don't need an iPod, and the screen is too small for my vision. I shall pass when one arrives at my door as a gift.
Dr.G. my wife received a nano for a present in the hopes she could show her photographs. Alas her vision is such "presbioptic" that the Nano's screen is not of much use to her. I was thinking a 30 gig iPod would be of more useful for her.

However she saw the iPhone and would much rather have that size of screen, however the phone portion the device is not really required by her or me. She currently has a prepaid mobile phone and doesn't make $5 a month of calling.

So a bigger and better iPod less the phone would be useful. Wifi would be OK, but not required.

However the overselling of technology seems the way of marketing. More features than most individuals can remember how to use, but are must have in the marketing. I guess to snag peoples interest.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
BigDL, she could always carry around a digital picture frame. Or even actual pictures. Or a portable DVD player. Or a subcompact subnotebook laptop.
Thank you However but She received the digital camera then the Nano as gifts. In a step by step process of advancing technology.

When it comes to printing pictures we still have rolls of film that will never go in for processing. 8 x 11 Albums are for the storage of prints in her world. Hardly a useful format to carry in a hand bag.

A small digital picture frame might work with sufficient memory and battery life. Are these durable devices to travel in a hand bag?

The memory and screen of the iPhone would work very nicely for her and she likes the form factor of the iPhone. She prefers the design of the Nano compared to full sized iPod the as well. The screen size of the iPod may not meet my wife's needs either.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
A portable digital picture frame is something I would like these days, especially with all the pics of the doxies.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
However she saw the iPhone and would much rather have that size of screen, however the phone portion the device is not really required by her or me. She currently has a prepaid mobile phone and doesn't make $5 a month of calling.

So a bigger and better iPod less the phone would be useful. Wifi would be OK, but not required.
Maybe she'll be able to get such an iPod one day - at least one observer thinks the iPhone might be used as a "safe" way to change the iPod interface:
So the iPhone went the other way around. Instead of putting the iTunes engine into a phone, Apple put the phone into an iPod. It's a brilliant example of the "keep it simple, stupid" principle - if you are going to innovate, make it a small incremental step. Don't introduce five new features at once.

And the small, incremental step was not the phone. That's typical Steve Jobs magic - "Watch my fingers carefully!" says the stage magician. What he's really doing is something entirely different...he's re-designing the iPod user interface.

If Apple had announced that it was abandoning the spin-wheel for the iPod, and had just launched iNew iPod there's a real chance it would have gone down like New Coke did. People understand the iPod. They can scroll through their songs with their hands in their pockets, or while running or in the dark. Why change?
source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/kewney_iphone_magic/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts