Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I can attest to Sonnet's products - bought many over the last 2 years. Only downside to this beauty is the hefty $900+ CDN price - almost a third of the way to a new tower. But, if it's all you need, probably worth it!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
No that's a stupid upgrade.
Sonnet really bugs me because they continue to offer upgrades far beyond what the motherboards and RAM can make use of. :mad: :rolleyes:

anything past 7-8x the bus speed is a joke and the Beige just barely gets to 83 mHz.
500 Mhz - 533 maybe with a 7400 chip with a 1 meg cache saturates everything, and the processor just twiddles it's thumbs.

These are good values in US dollars and performance. A 500 G3 in a Beige rocks very nicely.

Encore/ZIF G3 500 MHz-1M EG3-500-1M $169.95
Encore/ZIF G4 500 MHz-1M EG4-500-1M $299.95

Now the 1 gHz and 800s with 2 meg caches for the PC100 AGP G4's and Cubes make some sense altho the 1 gHz is stretching a 100 bus but nice on a 133.
I see there are 100/133 compatible out - that's good. :D

Talk to us BEFORE you upgrade even if you get it elsewhere.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
"anything past 7-8x the bus speed is a joke... " - macdoc

I recall reading this rule of thumb no longer applies to the latest processor upgrades from Sonnet. If I had the time (read as inclination), I'd search out the data. Sonnet wouldn't dupe it's clientele in such a way, especially after their MHz fiasco. If memory serves me, the latest multiplier is a safe 12x the bus speed.

If I think about it at a later time, I'll dig up more info on this issue. For now, that old rule is dead.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Safe is one thing - effective is another.
The wait states involved in a twelve times bus are ridiculous and the 7455 chips have LONGER pipelines making the likelihood of instruction bottlenecks even higher.
Your low RAM bandwidth, 16 meg per second maximum drive through put, 33 mHz pci bus and dismal video ALL will = UGH on a Beige and not that much better on a Blue.

Far better to use a chip designed around the architecture is being installed in - and save myriad dollars.

Speed is not just clock.

For the same $900 on a Blue you could put an ata 66 card with a 60 gig drive
a G4 450 1 meg cache
a Radeon 7000 video card
AND 256 more megs of RAM
and have money left over for a Latte. :D

Now that would be a useful well balanced upgrade. We love upgrades but there are limits.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree with David. At some point an upgrade is simply not worth the cost/benefit.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
sorta' like cars
you can only "supe up" an Honda Civic so far.
after a while it's more cost effective to trade it in and to start with a better car

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Introducing the MacMobile!!!!!! Included features are as follows:
a)
b)
c)

What three features would you want in this ultimate car?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
Since it seems as if this thread has Macdoc's attention, I shall post this question to him and to anyone else wanting to speculate.

Rumors aboud about what the next 6-12 months will bring to the Mac line of computers. Some people look 10-20 years out, although the technology in those computers does not even exist yet, and thus are pure speculation. However, given a one to two year timeframe, where do you see the Mac computers (desktop, laptop, tablet, et al) evolving from this point? Much has also been said about a Mac "roadmap". In what direction do you think that Apple should try to direct this Mac evolution?

NOTE: I ask this out of intellectual interest, and NOT out of a desire to "procrastinate" my purchase of an iMac beyond Bastille Day..............................even if the new DoxieMac comes in the shape of a doxie, with moxie to boot. :D

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
macdoc,

FYI: straight from tech support at Sonnet;

"The 8X rule hasn't applied for a long time. G4 upgrades had a 9X bus multiplier and the G3 upgrades had a 10X. And now this has changed. The PPC7455 chip has a 16X bus multiplier which if you do the math would mean a beige could be maxed out at 1056Mhz. Since that speed doesn't exist, we're coming out with a 1Ghz instead.

I can tell you it definitely works since I'm beta testing it in my beige G3 at home. And I definitely see a difference in speed.

I beta tested Dungeon Siege for the Mac and I had to keep the graphical complexity low so the game wouldn't bog down. That was with the G4/500 I had installed. Now with the 1Ghz installed, I cranked up the graphics to max and no bogging at all and the game looks SO much better."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts