Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1.6 GHz G5 - worthy investment?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Britnell 
#1 ·
Because the G5 low-end model can only hold 4 GB of total DDR-RAM (and it's 333 MHz RAM, not 400) and lacks PCI-X slots (has nornal PCI slots), should be overall avoid buying this model if all due possible? Not that this model is bad, not at all (better than any G4), but does its lower end configuration maybe affect it later on?

#2 ·
I would say that it could become a problem only if PCI-X slots become the only PCI in the future. Obviously for that to happne first most PCs have to come equipped with it, until then its a nice but obscure technology targeted at a niche market. (Not sure what uses PCI-x currently)

The thing about 4gb versus 8 gb is not that huge sure its nice to have more but it will not drastically change compatibility in the future. Think of it like having 1 gb of ram versus 512 mb, sure 1 gb is great, but its not mission critical. Its not like having a serious defect of no AGP like the first powermac G4.

Just my 0.02 cents.

#3 ·
If it suits your needs for what you are looking for then its fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Right out the front door, the machine holds double the ram of any current G4 based tower.

The PCI-X is also still very new and like the previous poster said, there is no reason to worry about it becomming outdated to soon. With few to none of the major motherboard makers and hardware companies supporting it yet there is no reason to worry.

Look at USB or firewire. 2nd gen revisions are out but companies are slower coming to them after they have invested so much money in the 1st generation technology.

#4 ·
You sort of have to ask yourself some honest questions about your computer buying habits. Are you the type that will hang onto a machine for a few years? Or do you lust after the latest greatest, and just have to have it?

The entry level machine of any new PPC release cycle is always a worthy machine, but if it's sold after a year, or so, the loss can be substantial. It seems the middle and top machines hold value a bit better respectively.

So, if you can buy the entry level G5 machine, realizing that it's a great computer with superior integer, memory, and bandwidth performance than a dual G4, then yes, go for it. But, if you're going to sell it in a year to get the second generation G5, or a refurb G5 dual, then you'll likely lose some money by jumping in early.

I've ordered the middle 1.8 Mhz offering from the G5 camp. I'm determined to hang onto it for close to 3 years. It cost nearly twice as much as I sold my G4/867 for, and it's probably nearly twice as good in most ways. That in itself makes me feel okay about the added expense. Life is short, don't break the budget, but don't deprive yourself either. Balance. =)

Let's be honest, all the G5's will be wonderful right out of the gate, and even more wonderful after Panther progresses into an OS that pushes the 64 bit technology.

-GW

#5 ·
Here's another point of view altogether and it's probably only interesting if you aren't a huge gamer or doing animation.

I have ordered the final hurrah for the G4, a dual 1.25GHz model. For someone like me (Yikes! G4 400MHz) this is a satisfyingly gigantic speed jump at an incredibly low price. I can still use my old drives (an 80 and a 120) and when required I can boot into OS 9. This option gives me a back door into OS X and I confess that I have some old software that I like and just can't replace. I'm not trying to confuse things here, but most of what thrills me about Apple isn't the machines but rather the OS and the software.

I was a little disappointed when my Yikes! G4 was dropped for the Sawtooth, but after a day or so I went back to getting a thrill out of using my Mac. While it is a lame duck by Apple standards, it has never produced the nightmares that my first computer (a Wintel box) gave me. Once again I'm ready to be thrilled by a new Mac (should arrive by Friday - Woohoo!!). Over the next few years, my only requirement is that it will keep me excited about working (however secretly I have noticed speculation that it will actually run a bit faster than the 1.6GHz G5). In fact, IBM has plans to ramp up the 970 rather quickly so even the fastest model is unlikely to look too stunning by this time next year.

If you've got the cash and you're looking for great value, the dual 200 seems to by the only choice. Dual processors make a huge difference in OS X and while the PCI-X slots may be an emerging technology, your machine would arrive with a few pretty nice upgrades including a stunning video card. And if you've dumped your cash into software and stuff that you want to keep running, maybe the G4 is still a real option?

I can't believe this got so long and so religious! Is it Sunday?

#6 ·
I qualify this as the basic u/g argument. We can aways end up going for the top of the food chain, but is that what we really want?? I've been looking @ laps for a minute - about to revamp the lineup. My bro thinks that I should trade my units in for a 17" PB. Thought about it, as I could, but is that what I really want? Hey - I might need a DVD R in a few years - maybe standard then. The backlit keyborad... Airport X etc... The fact is that you still get tons of power, but there there will always be SOME short comings for you to consider. What % of us use the units to their complete FULLEST?? I mean, until we can no longer afford the slow perf?? I buddy of mine who does music just recently got an iBook (500). He had been using an old ass PB for the longest time (3400). He's now good for while. :eek:

This new G5 will do 4G of RAM?? And you need 8?? I recall when we were still loving 1G-2G. Has s/w become that demanding, or have we just become ultimate multi-taskers? Lars, the day that you'll be sick of this G5, someone out there will be looking to make that jump from a 733 tower a few years from now. We all have a bit of that Mhz envy... just a Q? of managing it as well. I think that you'll be very fine with it. ;) I'm having trouble letting go of my Pismo (as the TiBook will likely hit the block). Go Figure.

H!

#8 ·
Personally, I would wait unti the next round of new computers before getting a G5. And wait until the OS is more 64 bit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.