Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
The latest versions are apparently fine, and terrifically priced too, bootable in OS 9 (which I like) and minus Bluetooth, Firewire 800 and something else I don't remember and don't need. But I would get the least about of RAM and buy your own. You'll save about hundreds right there.

Only the dual G5 is worth considering. It's about twice the speed, but twice the price too. Plus *not* bootable in OS 9, no room for a second optical, and no room for more than 2 drives -- factors that are a big minus for me.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
What I'm a bit confused about is why people are complaining about the lack of internal space for extra drives. There's this neat technology called FireWire that allows you to hook extra external drives up to your Mac. Plus there's the Xserve RAID if your storage needs are truly massive.

·
Registered
503 Posts
A firewire case gives you more cables, and use of more power outlets. It's just a big INCONVENIENT mess.
What he said.

Plus, external drives are dramatically more expensive than internal. Pay more for more clutter? Not with my money.

IMHO most people don't use the extra HD space in their towers.
I'm not most people.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FireWire HDs are good for transporting large amounts of data from one place to another.
They are also good for keeping data off-line as a means for daily back-ups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts