Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Do you have a printer hooked up to your Mac (Wired or wirelessly)

• Yes, I do. (Post which kind / brand you have. Your likes / dislikes)

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • No, I do not. (Post any reasons why)

Votes: 11 13.8%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a printer hooked up to your Mac? (Wired or wirelessly)

If so, what kind / brand? What do you like and/or dislike about it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
An aging Lexmark E320 laser printer via the serial port on an Airport Extreme.
A new Epson Workforce 633 all-in-one via its built-in wifi adapter.

The Lexmark is a black-and-white tank that must be at least 10 years old. I bought it as a refurb. The Epson is brand new. It faxes, prints and copies. And to scan, it uses the Mac's built-in Preview app. Nice and handy but I can't speak to its durability.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a refurbished Brother HL-2030 black and white laser printer.

I used to have Epson Inkjets all the time, but the price of the ink cartridges was brutal. It's mostly internet receipts, homework, tickets, directions and stuff I print these days, which is fine in black and white. If I want a colour photo, I've been sending them to Walmart's online service, which is so cheap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got a lexmark E232. Probably a model cycle after digitddog's. It's also a tank B&W laser printer. Hooked up to the private home network via the airport extreme.

I suppose I have an inkjet or two still lying around, but they have not been used in ages, and seeing that I think that for a general user ink jet is NOT the way to go, I won't mention the brands etc... Laser (or LED) is the way to go.

I got the lexmark from someone moving out of town to replace my previous laser that was ready to be replaced. Perhaps I have a few too many lasers lying around to act as back ups. Anyone in downtown T.O. need a laser printer? :lmao:

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I've got a Brother HL-2040. Bought it because it was cheap ($50) and semi-reliable. Since I print maybe a dozen sheets a year, it suits me just fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Laserjet 5Si MX that connects via wired network. The iMac is wired to the network, the Macbook Pro is wireless. They, along with an additional 3-4 PCs (Desktop and laptops) and the Sun Ultra 80, can all print using this printer.

I got it for $100 (local Kijiji buy), with about 1600 pages of usage on it. It is not colour, but the toner costs are remarkably low (using third party refilled/remanufactured cartridges), and it is one of the few printers that I can afford that does both 11" X 17" and duplexes. It is also reliable and has good print quality.

Kostas

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can't answer...

I have a Lexmark laser printer hooked (via USB)to my iMac at home, an HP laser printer hooked (via USB) to my iMac in my office, nothing hooked to my MacPro in my lab (but it can access my office HP via network), nothing hooked to my iMac in my other lab (but it can also access my office HP via network), and nothing hooked up to my MacBook Pro, my iPad or my iPhone, as these are all mobile devices (although any of them could print to any of my printers via the internet).

I think the relevant question here is "how many (if any) computing devices do you have access to that do not provide you with the option to generate hard copy?"

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Brother MFC 8460N networked wirelessly through my Dlink router.

Love everything about this 'all-in-one' laser machine. Faxes, scans, copies, and of course prints. Doc feeder is ideal for volume scanning, faxing or copying. Better Mac support than HP...that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Canon Pixma MP620

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
At home, I have an HP laserjet 2200 connected via my airport extreme basestation. It's an older printer, I've had it about 8 or 9 years now, but it still works great. Not that I use it much - I think there was a year or two when it wasn't hooked up and I didn't really miss it.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Current printer hooked up to my Mac is a Brother DCP-7030 ( Laser Printer ), purchased this in October 2010 at Best Buy $89.99 sale, it prints black, it's simple and it works.

I put a lot of effort in having a paperless Home / Office work environment, I use pdf format extensively to save and send files, when I need to print it's black text on letterhead ( letters, estimates etc... ), I source out the color work as needed and charge accordingly.

Brother DCP-7030 Multifunction Printer, Copy, Scan

PS : I used a InkJet printer prior to this laser printer, I got really fed up of the extravagant cost of replacement ink cartridges.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
We have an HP 5180 Photosmart printer/scanner/copier attached by ethernet (over powerline) to our Airport Extreme. It fulfils our modest needs very well. All scanning functions, as well as printing, are available wirelessly from our MB and MBP. Out here in the country the ability to make copies is very convenient. The 5180 does very decent photos as well.

·
peek-a-boo
17,317 Posts
have a pixma 320 I got for free with a mac at home, and the epson R200 which I like quite a bit and has worked well for the last 4 years. All hooked to a router.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At home, I have an HP laserjet 2200 connected via my airport extreme basestation. It's an older printer, I've had it about 8 or 9 years now, but it still works great. Not that I use it much - I think there was a year or two when it wasn't hooked up and I didn't really miss it.
I find those older HP printers are absolute work horses. I've seen several in commission that just keep going and going.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts