Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Do you get emotionally attached to your Mac?

• Yes, for sure! My Mac and I have a special bond! :-)

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • No, while I enjoy working on my Mac, it's just an electronic device.

Votes: 34 47.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be an interesting one. :)

Do you get emotionally attached to you Mac(s)? Reason I thought of this poll, is that I was selling my older iMac G5 20" iSight. Zero'ing the data, reformatting and boxing up the girl, I thought of all the time I spent with her, planned trips, worked on ehMac, my kids have been using for past 4+ years.

I felt a bit sad packing her up.

So question is... do you get emotionally attached to your Mac(s)? :) :love2:

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
I do, but not with the hardware as such.

When I upgrade my system, I don't feel like I'm saying goodbye to the old gear. Rather, I see it as giving the system I'm attached to, some exciting new toys.

The only time I've really felt bad about wiping and boxing a machine was when there was no replacement for it. It wasn't evolving to the latest greatest, it was simply coming to an end.

In fact I felt so strongly about it, I wrote about the whole experience.

Cheers!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Isn't creating an emotional response to a device a part of Apple's mystique? Something that the competition never gets. I'm not embarrassed to say I love my iMac and I have learned more about computers and do things with them that I never thought I ever would, as a result of OS X and it's marriage with Apple hardware. Some may say we are lacking something in our lives if we have an emotional response to "things." at the end of the day I could care less what people think. Yes I love my iMac. He's like my very own R2 D2 I always wanted! Lol.

·
Premium Member
23,535 Posts
Get a grip...it's just another hammer in the tool box.

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
Ah but some hammers have wooden handles and are perfectly balanced, others feel more like wrecking bars in disguise.

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Sure, a hammer that you specifically spend hours putting grip tape on and filing down the weight so that it hits just right.. so that when you use another hammer, you feel oddly out of whack and off balance.. it just doesn't hit the nail on the head, so to speak. Just like one of those! :D

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
I do "love" my Macs, but whatever Mac I get to replace the one(s) I am using now will most likely be better in every way so for me it is hard to get "emotional" about them.

Now if they were stolen or burned in a fire and I didn't have a replacement at hand then I could get a little emotional about a scenario like that.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
so I answered yes, but the more and more I think about it I don't think that I am really emotionally attached to my Computer(s). But I can say YES ten times over when it comes to my iPhone and iPad.

I have never thought of this before but I think that touching a device vs typing and pointing makes it a much more emotional experience, this sounds kinda dumb saying this out loud but ya I really "care" more for my touch stuff then my type stuff.

Anyone agree?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had a strong emotional bond with my Quadra 650 and my G4 Graphite 400 Gigabit,
My subsequent PM7100 was nice and my iMac (Aluminum) works well, but I don't love them the way I loved my early Macs.
I can do very little tinkering with the iMac and the 7100 while it took almost all the upgrades that made the 650 special, never ran as sweet or as long.

You never forget your first loves. Luckily, ma current bitches ain't the jealous types.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I am emotionally attached to my data... if I lost it, my music, my photos, my movies, designs, etc... I would be really, really really, upset. :-(
Exactly how I feel. I could care less about the machine*. I'd jump to another (more capable Mac) any day of the week, disposable money permitting. :greedy:

*I'll say I was more sentimental than emotional about my G4 Dualie. So many good, productive things were accomplished with that tool.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Just try to wrest my MB from my grasp and find out if there is an emotional bond..... :D

To illustrate, this morning I realised that I had left my power supply at the college where I taught a basic Mac skills workshop on Saturday and had a moment of panic when the MB went into 'coma' due to lack of power and I couldn't 'feed' the poor baby 'juice'.... All is well, security had the power block and my baby is happily sucking up electrons as I write this.... :D

I love happy endings!

·
Premium Member
23,535 Posts
Ah but some hammers have wooden handles and are perfectly balanced, others feel more like wrecking bars in disguise.
Oh, I know. I currently have 10 hammers in my real world tool box, everything from a little tacking hammer to several sizes of claw hammers (including a framing hammer from a former life), shingling hammer, metal working hammer, a number of ball peins, a sledge & a dead blow.

Still, they're only tools to get a job done. I have the favorite that I reach for most of the time, but when it won't get the job done I have an assortment to choose from, with no regrets about who I'm cheating on...:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
My strongest tech-emotion is reserved for my original Tandy 1000, but now that I finally own a mac, I'm really starting to appreciate it. My work of art, the iMac G4 lampshade (17" 1.25GHz 1.5GB RAM) is dandy to use, looks magnificent in my white kitchen and that movable screen is perfect while puttering around.

I'll bet it'd sell like hotcakes if they brought back that floating screen (ooo! especially if it SMELLED like hotcakes!)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
No - having any attachment to a piece of material is a dangerous road to travel down. To me it's a disposable piece of electronic - just like most other things in my home. Serves its purpose until it can't, and then it's sold off.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I am emotionally attached to my data... if I lost it, my music, my photos, my movies, designs, etc... I would be really, really really, upset. :-(
Big Ditto

I have enjoyed a lot of Mac's since my first MacPlus, but I have never gotten attached to one model in particular, Apple seem to have founds the formula to get me excited over the many years with the various models they have offered.

Design wise, the Alluminium PowerMac G5 Towers and beyond really does it for me :clap:
Can't wait to upgrade :D to a Quad-Core Intel Mac Pro :cool: or better :heybaby:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.