Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've got a month to decide on ordering or not. I like it except the price. Not sold that the features are worth it.

I like the black stainless steel with the black stainless link band. I don't like the price at all! $1459?

With price in mind ditto on the all black sport model. But still $519 for Canadians is a bit much. I was hoping for $75-50 less.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
In the Apple Watch segment of the keynote, they played a video that amounted to a montage of all the little things that you can do with it. I didn't find it compelling.

I'm never going to run a half-marathon--let alone a full one--so the bit with the women didn't connect with me. I'm never going to send stupid little drawings to some other Apple watch owner. My phone nags me enough about reminders, appointments, emails, texts and all the rest of it.

However, if they could use the heart rate monitor to accurately indicate the early symptoms of a heart attack (or stroke or aneurysm), EVERY spouse in the world would insist their partner buy and wear one! THAT would be compelling.

Nonetheless, Apple will almost certainly sell several million watches in the next few months. With 700 million iPhones out there, it only takes a small percentage deciding "what the heck" to get that many early adopters. After that, we'll find out if Apple Watch really has any legs.

Craig

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wear a watch everyday. I’m also among the ‘older’ set (having been born in the latter years of the first half of the final century of the previous millennium). My observations are that ‘younger’ people (under 40 y.o.) generally don’t seem to wear watches. They rely on their phones for the time and many other aspects of daily life, from socialization, communication, to work related tasks. My question is: To whom is the Apple Watch targeted? Why would someone who does not wear a watch and who uses an iPhone buy an extra device to do some of what the phone does? Yes, Watch will do some different things, but at what expense?

I don’t plan to buy Apple Watch since I don’t have, nor intend to get, an iPhone. After the ‘must-havers' buy their watches, will this be the new Apple platform to put the company above 1 trillion dollar capitalization? I’m going to be ‘watching’ this carefully.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
I can't think of a single Apple product ever released that I have less interest in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
watch

I can't think of a single Apple product ever released that I have less interest in.
Personally, I have near zero interest in acquiring one for myself (and I'm the biggest Apple fanboi on the block :)) ... especially at that price point!... maybe if it was waterproof,... meh, still to expensive for me.
I do however find it exciting to see Apple once again, taking a common device, re-envision it, thus pushing the envelope past the (perceived) barriers.

$10,000.00+ really? ... must have 6 ounces of gold in it!
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
sticking to my TAG heuer watch.. it tells me the date the time and has a stop watch and 18K gold too LOL for cheaper than the apple watch.
not to mention it is a classic after 20 years too

·
Registered
83 Posts
That goes double for me. :D
Well to go on the other side of the argument. I dislike always having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket - which always seems to need to happen at the most inconvenient of times.
I have always worn a watch and think this is a great idea to combine the technology with something I already use daily.
The Apple watch will combine all of the watches I own into one "Super Watch".
My Timex Ironman and my dress watches(4) will sit happily in my watch box peaking out every now and then to change the time for Daylight Saving.
I remember(and now I will date myself), reading the Saturday comics in the Edmonton Journal and salivating over the Dick Tracy watch - it was the Apple watch before it's time, but I think the Dick Tracy watch had a retractable antenna!!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Well to go on the other side of the argument. I dislike always having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket - which always seems to need to happen at the most inconvenient of times.
I have always worn a watch and think this is a great idea to combine the technology with something I already use daily.
The Apple watch will combine all of the watches I own into one "Super Watch".
My Timex Ironman and my dress watches(4) will sit happily in my watch box peaking out every now and then to change the time for Daylight Saving.
I remember(and now I will date myself), reading the Saturday comics in the Edmonton Journal and salivating over the Dick Tracy watch - it was the Apple watch before it's time, but I think the Dick Tracy watch had a retractable antenna!!!
To be clear, I am 70 and have worn a wrist watch every day for 55 years now. It is now a simple analogue watch, with day and date that runs in the $700 price range. It was a treat for my 65th birthday from family.

I have an iPhone 6 which gives me all the information and communications options I will ever need and I buy a new iPhone every time a new one comes out. I have no intention of buying another expensive wrist watch that duplicates exactly what I now have available to me with my current two devices.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
And triple for me :D

Awatch that one has to recharge every single day - that's ridiculous.

The watch I have now looks much more attractive than the Apple watch and runs on a single button battery for over a year.
Mind you, all it does is tell time including day and date, but having to remember to charge a watch every day is rather ridiculous in my mind.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
sticking to my TAG heuer watch.. it tells me the date the time and has a stop watch and 18K gold too LOL for cheaper than the apple watch.
not to mention it is a classic after 20 years too

Beautiful watch! You raised another issue — longevity. I like to use watches for a long time, unless I buy a disposable $10 or $20 one. Who thinks that Apple Watch will be usable in 20 years? Ten years? Maybe 5 years.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Beautiful watch! You raised another issue — longevity. I like to use watches for a long time, unless I buy a disposable $10 or $20 one. Who thinks that Apple Watch will be usable in 20 years? Ten years? Maybe 5 years.
exactly - my wife and I have matching watches which we will pass down to our kids -
I am sure they will be more than happy to have them. Plus i do believe the watches we have are still worth what we paid.

To be honest with you.. If I am in a meeting - i am not going to look at my 'apple watch' or iPhone in front of a client that is just rude.. so I don't need a reminder that I have a text..Plus when driving it is easier to look at my iPhone instead of the apple watch that is more distracting.

·
Premium Member
5,384 Posts
Awatch that one has to recharge every single day - that's ridiculous.
This is a big thing. I have a pebble watch and hated even having to charge it once a week. I have a few self winding watches, I love them, you never have to wind them, never a dead battery, they just work.

The geek in me wants to by an iWatch just to play with the tech, but i know I would get bored of this very very quickly. I am not interested in seeing e mails, text messages, or someones heartbeat on my wrist.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
Add another one to the list - me!!

Oh yes, and my wife, and almost all my family members with one exception - maybe my eldest son who is the Authorized Apple sales & service agent for Whitehorse and the Yukon. He might have to be an Apple demoing user but I don't know.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts

Agreed, that is a nice TAG heuer watch, but even that is overkill for me.

And does anyone want to put any money down on any bet that Apple will provide a reasonable priced user replaceable battery? I haven't seen any info on that, and don't choke on the suggestion. ;) :D :yikes:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Agreed, that is a nice TAG heuer watch, but even that is overkill for me.

And does anyone want to put any money down on any bet that Apple will provide a reasonable priced user replaceable battery? I haven't seen any info on that, and don't choke on the suggestion. ;) :D :yikes:
i have only replace the battery every 4 years.. not to mention I can get my watch wet and swim with it. LOL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts