Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Question about Applecare for Macbook Pro 15

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chas_m 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I have a refurb Penryn 15" Macbook Pro that I want to extend applecare and it's almost due soon Oct 19th, 2009.

I know Apple store online is selling for 349usd+tax for applecare coverage.

I read that the following products should work for macbook pro 15" coverage in Canada.

Applecare MA515LL/A - For older powerbooks but some say Macbook Pro 15"
Applecare MB588LL/A

Is this : AppleCare Warranty for MacBook Pro 15"/17" - MB588LL/A on eBay.ca (item 170385537592 end time 01-Oct-09 04:01:22 EDT)

the same as the one I would buy from Apple Store to Extend the Warranty on my Refurb 15" Macbook Pro? but for much less?

It says something about unibody but it shoudl work the same right?

Afterwards, I would go to the apple site to put in the Applecare ID + my product serial number to register?

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
I would strongly recommend not attempting to defraud Apple by buying AppleCare that is not matched to your model. Apple is well within its rights to deny you coverage if you attempt to use the wrong Applecare. There are plenty of legit dealers who sell Applecare at some discount (Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, SIG Electronics), though you should be wary of scams.

#3 ·
Come on.... you can educate people on the cons of buying online and speculate as to where or how this APP might have been acquired by the seller, but don't lie to them. 15" MBP is 15" MBP. Period. You're not "defrauding Apple by buying AppleCare that is not matched to your model".

This AppleCare DOES match the model in question; a MBP that is not 13". The fact that the eBay seller mentions that it works on the unibody ones seems to be just poor punctuation. It looks like those are meant as examples of covered 15" and 17" models.

#4 ·
I think you're fine with that Applecare. I just bought an older version of Applecare off Ebay last night that was for Macbook Pros and Powerbooks. It cost me $130 US, the seller had great seller feedback, he sent me the enrollment number and will be shipping me the box and all its contents, with the all-important serial number. Registered immediately and received the confirmation by email. I would maybe go with Ebay seller Macman; he seems to be the most legit on Ebay and has a great track record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.