Address book failure - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Full Citizen

Address book failure

When I open Address Book on my 10-year-old iMac (High Sierra/10.13.6), I can see all the cards but when I select a card, no information appears. The right side of the split screen says "No cards." However, the application is working fine on my iPhone XR. I'm lost.
Advertisement

Old Dec 18th, 2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen

Have you tried Googling the problem and checking out any of the hits???

Address book failure High Sierra when I select a card, no information appears.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Addr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There seem to be some hits that just might be related. Not sure whether your conditions and situation match or not.

When was the last time you recall it working, and when did it stop working, and can you think of anything you did in between that might have caused the problem.

The problem seems to be quite common. ;-(

Even the fix from here just might help:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8280937

- Patrick
======
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Full Citizen

I did try Googling, found nothing useful, but your search turned up this which I thought was the answer. Problem is the steps the writer lays out do not match what I find when I try it:

Found this solution from another user on an old board from Mountain Lion and it worked for me.

Quit Contacts.

In System Preferences uncheck all items in iCloud. From the Finder menu click >Option Go which shows the Home Library Folder in the pull down menu. Open the Folder Application Support find the Folder Address Book and Trash it with all its content. (YES! I DID THAT!)

THE SECTION ABOVE IS WHERE I RAN INTO TROUBLE. When I use Option Go/Home I do not see the Address Book folder (and my operating system is a few ticks newer than the one mentioned), just my usual "home" files. I went to the System folder, which contains Address Book plug-ins, but that's it. I can't even find the application itself on this computer. However, as I mentioned earlier, Address Book is working fine in iCloud and on my iPhone XR. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out, much appreciated.

Return to the System Prefs re-activate Contacts, mail and anything else previously checked.
Then (after iCloud reloads) login to your iCloud account on your browser. Settings all the way down on the bottom left. Choose "Restore Contacts". After it finishes updating, I opened contacts and everything was repopulated!!

Old Dec 21st, 2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Found this solution from another user on an old board from Mountain Lion and it worked for me.
Who cares if the solution is old as long as it works, but I'm a bit confused if it actually did work for your situation.

- Patrick
======
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Full Citizen

Patrick, sorry for the confusion. Here's the recommended fix, but the section in red outlines the problem I have with it.

Quit Contacts.
In System Preferences uncheck all items in iCloud. From the Finder menu click >Option Go which shows the Home Library Folder in the pull down menu. Open the Folder Application Support find the Folder Address Book and Trash it with all its content. (YES! I DID THAT!)

THE SECTION ABOVE IS WHERE I RAN INTO TROUBLE. When I use Option Go/Home I do not see the Address Book folder (and my operating system is a few ticks newer than the one mentioned), just my usual "home" files. I went to the System folder, which contains Address Book plug-ins, but that's it. I can't even find the application itself on this computer. However, as I mentioned earlier, Address Book is working fine in iCloud and on my iPhone XR. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out, much appreciated.

Add a new contact via iCloud, which is working fine. It also showed up on the Contacts list in my iPhone XR. And it showed up on my Contact list on my older iMac, but with the same problem. BTW, we're neighbours. I live in Victoria, and keep a boat in Brentwood Bay. Small world, eh!
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen

[QUOTE=Jazzboy;2709412]Patrick, sorry for the confusion. Here's the recommended fix, but the section in red outlines the problem I have with it.

Quit Contacts.

Add a new contact via iCloud, which is working fine. It also showed up on the Contacts list in my iPhone XR. And it showed up on my Contact list on my older iMac, but with the same problem. BTW, we're neighbours. I live in Victoria, and keep a boat in Brentwood Bay. Small world, eh![/QUOTE]

My wife and I usually avoid all possible options of using iCloud except maybe some of its basics, as it always seemed to be goofing up and screwing up things somehow and generally not working as one would expect it to at all times.

Yes, I guess we're close to being Neighbors, and we used to keep our boat anchored in Butchart Cove where we lived at the head of the Bay some 20 years ago and also where I had worked for fourty years!!!.

We had to sell our boat some years ago and we don't really miss the work, costs, maintenance, upkeep, insurance and moorage and expenses etc.

It was much nicer and bearable when one was working and one could " get away from everything".

But now that I am retired, things are quite a bit different and so is my health, and besides the Fisheries Department pretty well killed off all sports fishing some years ago that I used to enjoy with all their shutdown closures and restrictions.

- Patrick
======

Tags
address book