Getting back to the Mac - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 10:11 AM   #1
You are just an illusion

Getting back to the Mac

Well, after a few years hiatus, I'm planning getting another mac. Last one I sold was, I believe a 2011 mac mini i5, 16gb, 128gb SSD+500gb HDD or it was a 2011 MBP i5, 16gb, 180gb SSD I don't remember. Got rid of them because they were still valuable and was becoming too slow for me.

Now looking at a late 2013 21.5 2.9ghz iMac. I've been looking around for another mac because mainly no one wants me to use their old mac to recover my aperture library. A hackintosh nor a VM does the trick to allow me to export my pictures.

I need you guys advice see if the late 2013 is worth it at 600$?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen

Are you looking to just recover the files, or the files+edits? If you only need the files you can copy them out of the bundle, no need for a Mac for that.

You can probably get a maxed out 2011 iMac for cheaper, if your only intention is to work with Aperture. It won't run Catalina, but, Catalina won't run Aperture IIRC.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 12:06 PM   #3
You are just an illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by polywog View Post
Are you looking to just recover the files, or the files+edits? If you only need the files you can copy them out of the bundle, no need for a Mac for that.

You can probably get a maxed out 2011 iMac for cheaper, if your only intention is to work with Aperture. It won't run Catalina, but, Catalina won't run Aperture IIRC.
I'm looking to export my files as JPG. My time machine back is probably Mavericks or Yosemite, so this is what would be going on it until I'm done exporting.

Being a decent iMac, I'm probably going to keep using for a while as a day to day desktop or would become the kids/family room PC. I have no plan on continuing to use aperture.

My question was, 600$ fair for a late 2013 i5 2.9? AFAIK, this is not the base model.

I looked at many options, I think the older models are overpriced.

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 08:37 PM   #4
You are just an illusion

Alright. I finally found a deal on a Mac mini late 2012. 16gb ram and 240gb SSD for 250$. The guy even offered to deliver it to me across Montreal.

Before that, I found a late 2015, 16gb, 256gb for 700$, but was sold before I could even see the ad. Oh well! I'm happy I spent way less than I was planning to!

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Alright. I finally found a deal on a Mac mini late 2012. 16gb ram and 240gb SSD for 250$.
That's far more reasonable for your needs. I'm glad you found a suitably priced/capable.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote