Broken Glass Replacement? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Full Citizen

Broken Glass Replacement?

Hey Guys,
Our 2017 iMac fell over and the glass cracked.. the screen works. On checking it is a Retina screen 21.5. Wife called Mac and they want 750$ plus tax to fix. They say the LCD is fused to the glass. I checked youtube/google and noticed this is true, however I was wondering if there was any options or hacks? Can the glass be removed and only replaced? any links on how to do that? Can the Retina screen be replaced with a regular screen? (or are the connectors different)? I am angry over this and trying to come up with a cheaper alternative. (oh and no warranty covers this)

Thanks!
Jim
Demonseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen

Easiest way: try to locate a similar Mac to salvage for spare parts (Ebay or whatever).

Also, read this:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...er+iMac+models

https://www.thebookyard.com/product....ducts_id=17694

As you see, The Bookyard charges even more than Apple for the spare part!

Worst & cynical case scenario: your iMac still works. Hook it up to an external monitor & mirror the iMacs desktop to it.

Good luck!

Last edited by hexdiy; Sep 13th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.
hexdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen

How badly is the glass cracked on that iMac???

Can you just ignore it or is it really bad??

As you have probably discovered by now the glass and the LCD panel are all factory fused together just as one unit and cannot be separated AFAIK.

If it's badly damaged, consider using an external display as already mentioned.

We did that for a number of years with a damaged iMac with the external display just mounted in front of the non completely working iMac.

We also used SwitchRes X.app just in order to keep the resolution as we wanted after a restart. Depending on any replacement display you use, that may not be necessary.

- Patrick
======
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Honourable Citizen

After looking into this some more, I find some people have been successful in separating the glass from the LCD with dental floss wire.
No kidding! This here makes pretty good reading, hope it works for you too:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...off+of+the+LCD

Here's an interesting quote:

Quote:
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. Nor did I put them back together. I cracked the outer glass on my iMac and just bought a new screen + glass assembly to fix it. Since the LCD panel is still in working order I decided to take a shot at separating the two. There is a ring of double stick foam tape, the same stuff that holds the glass panel to the aluminum housing on the iMac. Break through that with a guitar pick. Then with a LOT of patience, a credit card and some baby oil you can separate the screen from the glass panel. Don't use heat or METAL objects, just be patient and take your time. Braid a couple lengths of dental floss together to get. The middle where your credit card can't reach. If I were to put the screen back together, I would probably just use the same 3m foam adhesive strips I used to reattach the new screen+glass to my iMac and forget the goop in the middle. My original plan was to find a gutted 21.5" iMac body, install the screen in it with an lvds > HDMI adapter + a compatible power supply to make the 21.5" cinema display that never was, but quickly scrapped the idea because apple uses a non standard LVDS that no one makes an adapter for. And there are no gutted iMac bodies to be found.

Update (08/20/2015)
Just want to say that it is possible to separate the two . contrary to popular belief, they are not "fused" with UV glue or epoxy or anything like that. There's a relatively thick layer of silicone based non-curing adhesive holding them together. I scraped about a 1/4 cup of of it off the screen when replacing the cracked glass panel. FWIW, it smells EXACTLY like post it notes and baby oil eats right through it. Just don't use anything metal to scrape it off the LCD display.
Good luck & happy DIY!
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen

@hexdiy
Quote:
After looking into this some more, I find some people have been successful in separating the glass from the LCD with dental floss wire.
No kidding! This here makes pretty good reading, hope it works for you too:

Excellent find hex, and it sounds like the "fused" part of the display unit and its seal is no different to the caulking or seal of a bathroom sink in a counter. Many contractors use the dental floss trick for cutting through that seal as well.

Amazing how some rumours persist and nobody has even tried. I know I would have, but then again I'm a bit more persistent than the average Joe. ;-)

And I'm sure a decent glass shop could cut a thin pane of glass to fit for a maybe 20 bucks and tack it in place with some double-sided tape. And the most auto-parts shops carry various widths of good quality black decorator tape if one wants to add a black bezel.

PS: Some of the older iMac non-retina display panels were definitely NOT separable from any protective glass and any cracked screen parts were as-one factory fused assembled unit so to speak.

EDIT:
Some must know the glass is a separate and replaceable piece as they're sold online for $50.00
apple 21.5 glass
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...2021.5%20glass

- Patrick
======
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen

Glad to be of service once in a while!

While searching a replacement, make sure it is Corning Gorilla Glass.
This is what Apple has been using for obvious reasons!

https://www.androidauthority.com/gor...arison-886866/
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:25 AM   #7
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
While searching a replacement, make sure it is Corning Gorilla Glass.
This is what Apple has been using for obvious reasons!

Hmmm...??? Both Apple and Corning have made it a strong point not to discuss or disclose what glass is or maybe actually used.

But it is well rumoured that various versions of Gorilla Glass is probably used on a lot of iDevices, but that does not include any iMac display screen glass and that would also include any Retina display screens.

There's no real point to be using Gorilla Glass on any desktop Mac model, and it would also increase the price, probably quite substantially considering the size of the glass.

- Patrick
======