Help Me Understand My Machine, Please - Page 2 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Full Citizen

Send a message via Skype™ to mgmitchell
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd either talk to CanadaRAM and upgrade the RAM, or if the budget could handle it I'd get a new machine. Today's Apple computers have some nifty features over their 5 year old laptops, like more RAM capacity and bigger hard drives for starters, but I'd think twice if I didn't really need them. Also I don't know how easy it is to do a RAM upgrade oneself on that MacBook. RAM is soldered into some of the new Apple laptops and cannot be upgraded by users, so go big if you buy a new one.
Hope that helps.
This does help. Thanks. Lots to think about. I'm wondering if the $100 or so (I'd have to price the RAM upgrade) is worth another couple of years.
/M.
mgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Full Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
Snow Leopard's minimum requirement is 1GB RAM, recommened 2GB+. This machine will officially support 2GB of RAM and actually take 3GB. Cut your losses, it's done 5 years, start looking for a new machine... At this point I wouldn't be putting any more money in to this one.
Never knew Snow Leopard required (recommended?) 2 GB. Oops.
Yes, I AM concerned about putting more money here instead of buying new. Still mulling it over.
/M.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Honourable Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmitchell View Post
Never knew Snow Leopard required (recommended?) 2 GB. Oops.
Yes, I AM concerned about putting more money here instead of buying new. Still mulling it over.
/M.
It's almost akin to the car modders and rodders and where their money goes to get what they want.

A local friend's car freak friend spent God only knows how much money on converting a Ford Model-T by dropping in a Cadillac V-8 and all the necessary goodies to get what he wanted.

It's nicknamed as the "$100.00" car as he keeps an old $100.00 bill on the dashboard and any passenger is invited to attempt to pick it up from the dashboard when he does an accelerating run. It has never been accomplished in over 20 years now.

It's one VERY fast Model-T Ford!!

Maybe some similar potential for some older Macs??? Hmmm... and then the costs... A hard call sometimes, but always up to the user and their wish and pocketbook.
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Lifetime membership

You might want to also stop downloading to your main drive,
Use an external drive to download movies to.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Full Citizen

I am leaning more toward going 'new'. Apparently, the budget can manage this at summer's end. Probably makes sense to get up to speed with a new MBP. Thanks for your comments. I've been working this little MBook to the bone the past couple of years, clearly.
/M.

Last edited by mgmitchell; Jul 22nd, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #16
Full Citizen

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
You might want to also stop downloading to your main drive,
Use an external drive to download movies to.
Hey Lawrence, I have a 500 GB external iomega drive. I use it when I do the Time Machine thingy.
Last update, I noticed I have about 20 back-ups on the 500 GB'er dating back to 2009. There is about 49 GB left on this external drive. Why do I need all the previous back-ups? Why when I plug in the external drive it automatically begins the Time Machine? Can't I just drag stuff over there when I wish? Everything's there anyway, yes?
Thanks.
/M.

Tags
activity monitor, cpu, evom, ivi, slow computer