ehMac.ca

ehMac.ca (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php)
-   Mac Masters (http://www.ehmac.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Cellular POS options? (http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=91957)

FeXL Dec 17th, 2010 06:25 PM

Cellular POS options?
 
Looking for info from anyone using their cell phone for Point Of Sale transactions. What phone, what software, what printer, fees, issues, etc.

TIA

novavon Dec 20th, 2010 06:28 PM

I'm currently in the process of purchasing the same POS system that Apple uses. It's called LightSpeed. The mobile hardware kit comes with an iPod Touch and for cellular uses, I use a MiFi Hotspot and connect the iPod Touch to the Mac Mini Server via VPN and it works great!

ehMax Dec 21st, 2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novavon (Post 1043187)
I'm currently in the process of purchasing the same POS system that Apple uses. It's called LightSpeed. The mobile hardware kit comes with an iPod Touch and for cellular uses, I use a MiFi Hotspot and connect the iPod Touch to the Mac Mini Server via VPN and it works great!

I can 1000% guarantee you, Apple does not use Lightspeed as their POS system.

Lightspeed is a very nice POS system built right here in Canada in Montreal, but its not by any stretch of the imagination, a system that could handle Apple's operations.

Apple uses their own internal systems that they themselves created.

John Clay Dec 21st, 2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novavon (Post 1043187)
I'm currently in the process of purchasing the same POS system that Apple uses. It's called LightSpeed. The mobile hardware kit comes with an iPod Touch and for cellular uses, I use a MiFi Hotspot and connect the iPod Touch to the Mac Mini Server via VPN and it works great!

Haha, ehMax is right. If Apple used LightSpeed, their stores would crash and burn every couple hours. LightSpeed is great, but last I checked, can't handle large stores.

FeXL Dec 21st, 2010 01:35 PM

Perhaps I need to clarify.

Not looking for anything more than being able to complete credit card & debit card transactions. Already have software to do the books for the studio.

We cover a lot of sporting events & I would like to deal with the card transactions on location, rather than typing the numbers manually into our studio POS machine later on. This will eliminate problem transactions (over limit, incorrect data, etc.) and save a percentage on transaction prices (hopefully). If the system works well, I'd eliminate the studio POS setup, too.

Real life experience is an asset but any advice is welcome.

Thx!

Joker Eh Dec 21st, 2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeXL (Post 1043522)
Perhaps I need to clarify.

Not looking for anything more than being able to complete credit card & debit card transactions. Already have software to do the books for the studio.

We cover a lot of sporting events & I would like to deal with the card transactions on location, rather than typing the numbers manually into our studio POS machine later on. This will eliminate problem transactions (over limit, incorrect data, etc.) and save a percentage on transaction prices (hopefully). If the system works well, I'd eliminate the studio POS setup, too.

Real life experience is an asset but any advice is welcome.

Thx!

You might want to walk into a Apple store because all sales reps (at least the ones I havew been to) carry an iphone that has an attachment which allows them to swipe credit cards and then the bill is printed under a nearby table. Slick.

John Clay Dec 21st, 2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker Eh (Post 1043555)
You might want to walk into a Apple store because all sales reps (at least the ones I havew been to) carry an iphone that has an attachment which allows them to swipe credit cards and then the bill is printed under a nearby table. Slick.

Proprietary.

OP,

You may want to look at Square. Their fees per transaction are higher, but they have no contracts or monthly fees, and the reader is free.

https://squareup.com/

FeXL Dec 21st, 2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clay (Post 1043723)
Proprietary.

OP,

You may want to look at Square. Their fees per transaction are higher, but they have no contracts or monthly fees, and the reader is free.

https://squareup.com/

Thx. Just had a look at the website, unless I'm mistaken, it's US only (at this time). Too bad, it seems like something I'd go with. They don't really encourage keying in unless as a last resort (if the reader isn't functioning). Rates are a bit higher but, in lieu of monthly fees, probably a bust or slightly better.

Aha, just ran across a bit of fine print. They'll deposit up to $1001 the next day, anything over that may take up to 30 days.

No chancee, Mr. Whelen...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc.