More Adobe shenanigans... Any good alternative to Acrobat Pro? - Page 3 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Honourable Citizen
 
heavyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
What kind of work are doing that require a 15,000 page pdf to be printed? I have never heard of such a thing. Just saying, that astounds me, certainly not the norm.
Not uncommon with variable printing.

We recently had one that was a daytimer book, where thousands of copies were made, each one entirely customized with different text, covers, pre-printed important dates, etc, all handled as one continuous print run on the press.

I don't recall the final page count, but the pdf was over 2 GB.
heavyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #22
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyall View Post
Not uncommon with variable printing.

We recently had one that was a daytimer book, where thousands of copies were made, each one entirely customized with different text, covers, pre-printed important dates, etc, all handled as one continuous print run on the press.

I don't recall the final page count, but the pdf was over 2 GB.
Ok I see what you are saying, but that kind of work is uncommon in general. I suspect that kind of work is relatively rare among users of InDesign on a per capita basis.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #23
Honourable Citizen
 
heavyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
Ok I see what you are saying, but that kind of work is uncommon in general. I suspect that kind of work is relatively rare among users of InDesign on a per capita basis.
True. Most individual users wouldn't even know how to set it up even if that was what they wanted -- they would hire someone like us who does it all the time.
heavyall is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #24
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
Ok I see what you are saying, but that kind of work is uncommon in general. I suspect that kind of work is relatively rare among users of InDesign on a per capita basis.
Variable data printing is not uncommon and one of the biggest growing forms in print. Now when you seriously get into VDP (variable data print) you move into software that handles it better. Still a lot of printers like myself will use it for simple variable work.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #25
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyall View Post
True. Most individual users wouldn't even know how to set it up even if that was what they wanted -- they would hire someone like us who does it all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
Variable data printing is not uncommon and one of the biggest growing forms in print. Now when you seriously get into VDP (variable data print) you move into software that handles it better. Still a lot of printers like myself will use it for simple variable work.
It may be the case, but as I said before, not common in general.

At any rate I do not see how this is really relevant to Adobe justifying a subscription based model as opposed to a license based model. They could have retained licensing for their software, whether 32bit or 64bit.

It seems that what is being implied is that subscription based software is being defended because Adobe only offers 64bit to subscribers. IMO that is not a very good reason to defend the subscription based model because basically what Adobe has done is to say if you need 64bit you need to subscribe and basically continue to pay forever, as opposed to a one time payment for a license. I know of no other software company that does that.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
It may be the case, but as I said before, not common in general.

At any rate I do not see how this is really relevant to Adobe justifying a subscription based model as opposed to a license based model. They could have retained licensing for their software, whether 32bit or 64bit.

It seems that what is being implied is that subscription based software is being defended because Adobe only offers 64bit to subscribers. IMO that is not a very good reason to defend the subscription based model because basically what Adobe has done is to say if you need 64bit you need to subscribe and basically continue to pay forever, as opposed to a one time payment for a license. I know of no other software company that does that.
I agree and would buy outright when I want to upgrade rather then pay monthly. All I was saying was the update to indesign made a very big difference to me and really forced my hand to go with adobe CC because I was having trouble with indesign handling large files. With Indesign CC and a native 64 bit app those problems went away. I really wish Adobe went back to the old model, have CC for those who want to pay it monthly but have an option for those of us who would rather pay once and keep the software for as long as we want.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Full Citizen
 
Randy B. Singer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 72
Adobe Acrobat Pro is a high-end true PDF editing program (not just an OCR program or a program that can merely insert some text). Nothing is quite as good, but there are competitors that may be good enough, at vastly lower cost.

The key features to look for in an Acrobat alternative (for it truly to be an alternative to Acrobat) are the ability to delete/replace existing text in a PDF, and to do OCR.:

PDFpen/Pro ($75/$125) (PDFpen Pro is extremely popular with folks in my user group)
http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/index.html
http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpenPro/index.html#
tutorials
http://macsparky.com/search?q=pdfpen

PDF Studio Pro ($129)
http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/

Wondershare PDF Editor Pro ($100)
http://www.wondershare.net/mac-pdf-editor/?icn=nav
http://www.wondershare.net/shop/buy/...ditor-mac.html

PDFelement ($99)
http://macappware.com/software/pdf-editor-pro-mac/

PDF Converter Mac ($100)
http://www.nuance.com/products/pdf-c...-mac/index.htm

iSkysoft PDF Editor Pro ($100)
http://www.iskysoft.com/pdf-editor-mac.html

Lightning PDF Professional ($80)
Lightning PDF Professional 9 for Mac | Nova Development
https://shop.novadevelopment.com/sto...?on=1072945399

Able2Extract ($150)
http://www.investintech.com/prod_a2e.htm

Personally, I like PDF Converter Mac the best, because it includes the superb OmniPage Pro OCR engine. However, the company that it comes from is so shady, and offers such poor customer support, that I can't actually recommend this product. So, instead, I recommend that you consider PDFpen Pro.
__________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-Author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th & 6th editions)

OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Randy B. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 05:04 AM   #28
Honourable Citizen
 
Moscool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London (UK)
Posts: 3,722
Thanks for the comprehensive review Randy.

For some reason Acrobat Pro X is back from the dead and that's what I keep using. Of the list above I would stay clear of Wondershare because they're in hte habit of brutally terminating support for apps without warning (their Video editor vanished overnight and the Music app is no longer supported)

François
__________________
Bop 'til you drop

MB Pro 13 | i5 | 16 Gigs of shiny DDR RAM | 1TB SSD - we have arrived...
iMac 27 i5 16Gig 1TB
iPad Air 64Gig
Time Capsule 1TB | 4TB connected HD
iPhone 6: "Too big, but bloody fast..." & a bunch of ill fitting ear buds
Canon 7D proper camera with nice L glass and Lightroom 6
Moscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #29
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
i prefer pdfpenpro or pdf expert myself
__________________
My Desktop: 2017 iMac 27" with i7 4.2GHz, 64GB Memory, 8GB Video and 2 TB SSD.
chrismccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A good alternative to Spotlight starfishcom Anything Mac 20 Nov 28th, 2010 01:08 AM
Ontario Fall Fairs - the good, the bad and the just plain horrible simon Everything Else, eh! 0 Sep 4th, 2010 03:21 PM
Pissed at Adobe Superchicken Everything Else, eh! 71 Jun 21st, 2005 05:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!