Firefox or Flash 9 CPU hog - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Honourable Citizen
 
elmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: York Region, ON
Posts: 1,578
Firefox or Flash 9 CPU hog

With Contests | EZRock open, top shows Firefox taking around 20%, even if the top banner has finished animating, i.e. only one or two small banners are updating once in a while. With a couple other static pages on tabs, CPU% for Firefox is up around 35%.

This is possibly new since Firefox 2.0.0.13 or 2.0.0.12.

Also, my "About This Mac" from the Apple menu does not load.

Everything, including the flash plugin and Firefox, is fully updated.

Firefox 2.0.0.13
Flash 9,0,124,0
All Mac OS X updates as of April 9th
Onyx gets run every month or so and is also up to date.
elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
EvanPitts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 6,427
Both!!! Firefox used quite a bit of CPU, mostly because of the Gecko engine, though it shouldn't really degrade system performance once it is loaded. If it is, perhaps there is some strange memory problem that is forcing it to swap. Or perhaps the whole problem is with the web site itself, since many sites are poorly written and have numerous rendering bugs (usually to make them Internet Explorer Recommended).

Flash is a CPU and bandwidth hog. I'd suggest FlashBlock for Firefox; and if there are flash videos you want to see (which is probably about 1% of the flash videos that web designers put into pages, the other 99% is garbage), you can just click the mouse on the "F" and watch them. With all of the stuff going on about throttling and capping, I think it is the most astute step one can make. And really, most Flash video is just pure garbage, and I rank it with spam in wasting my time and my resources.

I think my Firefox is slower just because of all the blocking: AdBlock, FlashBlock, FlagFox and StopAutoplay... (People that put musical ditties into their web pages drives me nuts because it interferes with my enjoyment of iTunes)
EvanPitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox 2.0.0.12 flash video issue cliffx Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 1 Mar 9th, 2008 02:31 PM
How can I download a flash Videoclip with Firefox? krs Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 8 Nov 9th, 2006 11:54 AM
Beware buying old Macs to run OS 9 Terry O'Leary Anything Mac 9 Nov 1st, 2006 12:38 PM
Installing OS 9 on Tiger Mac MacAndy Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 7 Jul 8th, 2005 12:15 PM
Mac Abbreviation and Jargon Glossary Thread elmer Anything Mac 23 May 10th, 2005 06:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!