I'm south at the moment and picked up the family pack for 10.5. I have two laptops with me - G4 and a MacBook. I decided to do the update on the G4 (15 inch) and it seems to be stalled. It ran for a while and then the "time remaining" said 4 hours and 50 minutes. An hour and a half later it says 4 hours and 50 minutes and the blud ribbon is no further to the right.
The progress screen indicates that it is currently "run upgrade script for Essentials"
and that started 27 minutes after the upgrade started.
No indication of problem at all - but surely this can't be upgrading properly. I decided to cancel the upgrade and of course got a warning that the world could come to the end.
Had to do an archive and install on my MBP recently (due to my own stupidity) and it took less than 30 minutes, though I skipped the disc verification. I would think it will depend on the system and on the type of upgrade.
MBP C2D 2.2/120GB/2GB (10.5.0)
G4 1.42 mini 80GB/1024/Combo/AP/BT (10.4.10); 20" ACD; miniStack+300GB; iSight; AirPort Express
G3 600 iBook 30GB/640/DVD-ROM/AP (10.4.10)
4G iPod (40GB) | 2G iPod nano (4 GB-red) | My Mac blog: Singing the Apple
Likely very fragmented as it has not been defragged since I got it a year ago.
I noticed a problem with the amount of space left on the drive and scaled down the system being installed. It went on in about 40 minutes. But, it would not start and I did not do what I usually do - bring a start up CD with me. Downloaded Disk Warrier and the CD should arrive here at our place in Florida in the next day or so (I hope). If that doesn't help it means initializing and starting from scratch. Now a huge headache as I dumped pretty well everything that was on the laptop onto the new MacBook a year ago. Just annoying that I could screw it up (actually, it has 1 mb non-Apple ram (a single 1 mb). Their is a problem with the other slot.
I ran it on an iBook G4 1.33 and it started at 5 hours 40 minutes and in some places 15-20 minute intervals went by in the matter of a minute or two, but the last minute took at least 10 minutes or more. In the end, the update must have took just over an hour on my iBook.