I just got a used iBook G4 for my brother for Christmas and tt's the first major device that I've used that has a battery. What's the best practice for using the battery, maintaining it's longevity, and charge?
It indicated about 3 hours and forty minutes charge on first power up.
I heard that it's best to use all the battery life and then charge. That is to say not to indiscriminantly keeping switching to the power adapter and battery use. Is that right?
Ok, I downloaded a manual from apple, I think I understand it now:
Important: You only have to fully discharge and then charge your battery once to
calibrate it. After that, you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the
battery is at any charge level.
For the best conservation of battery power, do the following:
• Disconnect bus-powered USB or FireWire devices when they are not in use.
• Quit open applications that you are not using.
• If you have an AirPort Extreme Card or Bluetooth module installed, turn AirPort or
Bluetooth off when not in use. (Use the AirPort and Bluetooth status icons in the
menu bar. If these icons don’t appear in the menu bar, you can turn them on in the
AirPort and Bluetooth panes of System Preferences.)
• Remove CD and DVD discs when they are not in use.
• Reduce screen brightness using the brightness controls on the iBook G4 keyboard.
• Set the hard disk to spin down after a short time. In the Energy Saver pane of System
Preferences, select the “Put the hard disk to sleep when possible” option.
• Set your iBook G4 to sleep after inactivity of five minutes or less.
To further save battery power, select the following options in the Energy Saver
pane of System Preferences:
• Set your computer to modify its processor speed based upon the required amount of
processing activity. In the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, click Show
Details to see the settings. Choose Battery Power from the “Settings for” pop-up
menu, click Options, and choose Automatic from the Processor Performance pop-up
menu. (To set your computer to use its highest processing speed at all times, choose
Highest from the Processor Performance pop-up menu.)
• To conserve battery life the longest, choose Longest Battery Life from the Optimize
Energy Settings pop-up menu.
Sorry to bother you guys with such a newbie question.
Yeah, you've got it. In a nutshell, these batteries like to be used. Avoid leaving it plugged in for extended periods, and try to discharge it completely once a month. Otherwise, just use it as you see fit and you should be fine.