I installed Tiger, and am now trying to set up Mail.app to use POP access for Gmail. I am having trouble though... the instructions on the Google page are shown with screenshots of the older mail.app. Basically, I get stuck on the part where i set up the Outgoing Mail server. It seems that there is nowhere to input the server port. Can anyone help me, or point me to the correct steps in configuring Mail to access my Gmail account?
When you go to add the SMTP server, the drop down sheet contains a text box for inputting to port for myself.
Steps I follow:
1) Enable POP access on GMail
2) Press the + button in the accounts portion of the Preferences window to add a new account
3) Choose POP
4) Enter appropriate information
5) Once the "wizard" has completed, click on the account within that account portion of the Preferences window.
6) Click the Server Settings... button.
7) Enter the appropriate SMTP information (eg. username, password, server port.)
Thanks, but i still seem to having a bit of trouble. When i get to the "Outgoing Mail Server", I enter in smtp.gmail.com as the server, and then check off "Use Authentication". However, when i put in my user name and password, it checking the connection to the SMTP server... and checks forever and never finishes so I cannot continue the setup process.
Okay i got it working... I just kept waiting, and proceeded even after the warning told me that it couldn't check the outgoing server. Anyway, somehow it works now, even though I ignored the warning message. Strange! Oh well, i'm not complaining