Did this exist or am I imagining things? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Used to be Tilt
 
TiltAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
Did this exist or am I imagining things?

This is specific to Macs that have more than one user account.


Was there ever a feature whereby when I install some software, the system used to ask whether you wanted to install this software only for the current user or for all users? Or am I merely imagining something that never existed?


If it did exist, I wonder why Apple would remove this feature. There are times when I want to install something only on my wife's account and not on all accounts.


Just for informaton, both user accounts are Admin-level accounts.


However, I did try creating a Standard )non-admin) account and when I wanted o install something it still asked for the Admin-level user password - meaning, it was installing for "all users" and not just this one user.


Any thoughts?


Cheers
__________________
I used to be Tilt until EhMac phucked me up.
TiltAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,261
Not sure, I don't remember that function. Not sure what purpose it serves. It still takes up space when installed on one user account. I would think just leave it in the application folder on her account and she will never know it is there as I am sure she, like most people have all their daily and regularly used apps in the dock.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 01:14 AM   #3
Used to be Tilt
 
TiltAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
Thank you.

It is not the space occupied that concerns me, I have oodles of space. It is merely the fact that some apps are suspicious or not that respectul of privacy, so I would prefer to create a limited user account with nothing important and install such apps there.

Zoom (videoconferencing) is one such example.

Secondly, it is also about my own mental state - am I remembering things that never existed and am absoutely sure they did exist? One more exxample of such a memory is this: The time display on the menu bar on a Mac - was there ever a point where there was an option in System Preferences for something called "Fuzzy Clock" where instead of showing the time it will display "Morning"; "Late Morning", "Noonish", "Afternoon", "Evening" etc.? I distinctly remember having this enabled in my old PowerPC Mac Mini (first gen).

These are what concerns me.

Cheers
__________________
I used to be Tilt until EhMac phucked me up.
TiltAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
wonderings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltAgain View Post
Thank you.

It is not the space occupied that concerns me, I have oodles of space. It is merely the fact that some apps are suspicious or not that respectul of privacy, so I would prefer to create a limited user account with nothing important and install such apps there.

Zoom (videoconferencing) is one such example.

Secondly, it is also about my own mental state - am I remembering things that never existed and am absoutely sure they did exist? One more exxample of such a memory is this: The time display on the menu bar on a Mac - was there ever a point where there was an option in System Preferences for something called "Fuzzy Clock" where instead of showing the time it will display "Morning"; "Late Morning", "Noonish", "Afternoon", "Evening" etc.? I distinctly remember having this enabled in my old PowerPC Mac Mini (first gen).

These are what concerns me.

Cheers
Makes sense. Though I do wonder how much privacy you get even on different user accounts when an app is installed. Personally I do not trust Zoom, not that I have anything to hide but it is the principle. There is a specific applications folder user>applications. You could install to there I believe and it would only be accessed by your account.
__________________
“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” Bishop Desmond Tutu
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Indigent Academic
 
rgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Gulag of E ON
Posts: 8,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
There is a specific applications folder user>applications. You could install to there I believe and it would only be accessed by your account.
https://www.engadget.com/2010-12-03-...s-folders.html


https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...cations-folder

"If you download an app from the AppStore, the app will be installed in the /Applications folder by default, if you want to hide it from others, just move it to /Users/someone/Applications/ (which is your own or another users' application folder).

If the app is from a DMG file, just put it into your own (or other user's) Applications folder, and do not put it into /Applications folder.

The application would then appear only in someone's Launchpad."

Also. Re: Fuzzy Time. This link may be of interest!!
__________________
"not all those who wander are lost….." j.r.r. tolkien
rgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 15,097
Quote:
However, I did try creating a Standard )non-admin) account and when I wanted o install something it still asked for the Admin-level user password - meaning, it was installing for "all users" and not just this one user.

To set your mind at ease, the situations you described have always existed and you can often have an option of where the installer Is installed.

And yes, an admin user has always been needed to install software, which is disallowed by a standard user.

As for your clock option, that sounds like you had installed a third-party Utility and a Google search will probably help you find it, or something similar.

But the Later OS X Versions are getting Fussy as to what you are allowed to install, If at all. Then sometimes some customized options are needed to get some stuff installed into what should be YOUR Mac.

One can usually install an application almost wherever one wants to, and keep it hidden from other users, but beware that some applications work best or at all when installed Into their default location with their installer.




- Patrick
======
pm-r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:43 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,743
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
This definitely exists, and in fact - it happened to me just today, as I updated Zoom in anticipation of a videoconference I'm hosting on Friday.

Admin user, I might add.
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:53 PM   #8
Used to be Tilt
 
TiltAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgray View Post
https://www.engadget.com/2010-12-03-...s-folders.html


https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...cations-folder

"If you download an app from the AppStore, the app will be installed in the /Applications folder by default, if you want to hide it from others, just move it to /Users/someone/Applications/ (which is your own or another users' application folder).

If the app is from a DMG file, just put it into your own (or other user's) Applications folder, and do not put it into /Applications folder.

The application would then appear only in someone's Launchpad."

Also. Re: Fuzzy Time. This link may be of interest!!

Thank you rgray I responded to your PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
To set your mind at ease, the situations you described have always existed and you can often have an option of where the installer Is installed.

And yes, an admin user has always been needed to install software, which is disallowed by a standard user.

As for your clock option, that sounds like you had installed a third-party Utility and a Google search will probably help you find it, or something similar.

But the Later OS X Versions are getting Fussy as to what you are allowed to install, If at all. Then sometimes some customized options are needed to get some stuff installed into what should be YOUR Mac.

One can usually install an application almost wherever one wants to, and keep it hidden from other users, but beware that some applications work best or at all when installed Into their default location with their installer.




- Patrick
======

Thank you Patrick and rgray - I was not talking about the option of installing an app in a user's specific Application folder, I was talking about a dialogue box that popped up specifically while installing, asking if I wanted to install for all users or this user alone.


So, it is not the ability to install that I meant, it is the presence of this dialogue box that I remember, and this no longer exists. Did it ever exist or am I imagining it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaMark View Post
This definitely exists, and in fact - it happened to me just today, as I updated Zoom in anticipation of a videoconference I'm hosting on Friday.

Admin user, I might add.

The dialogue box exists? Is that what you mean?


OK, any discussion on this from now on is purely academic and for shits and giggles. My technical doubts have been cleared. Now I only need to determine if my mind is on its way out



Cheers everyone.
__________________
I used to be Tilt until EhMac phucked me up.
TiltAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 12:45 AM   #9
Honourable Citizen
 
CubaMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 17,743
Send a message via AIM to CubaMark
The dialogue box exists You are not (at least not on the basis of this thread) insane.
__________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Cuban Revolution as Socialist Human Development Brill Books (Amazon Paperback)
CubaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 12:10 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 15,097
Quote:
I was talking about a dialogue box that popped up specifically while installing, asking if I wanted to install for all users or this user alone
...
Quote:
So, it is not the ability to install that I meant, it is the presence of this dialogue box that I remember, and this no longer exists. Did it ever exist or am I imagining it?
That type of Pop-up Installer dialogue box has always been available to the developer, but I guess it is their option whether they use it or not. Some installs Do not use it, Some do.

And don't worry, you aren't losing your mind, at least not over the absence or not of any dialogue box message.




- Patrick
======
pm-r is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!