ehMac.ca

ehMac.ca (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php)
-   Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting (http://www.ehmac.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Did this exist or am I imagining things? (http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=154220)

TiltAgain Jul 8th, 2020 12:30 AM

Did this exist or am I imagining things?
 
This is specific to Macs that have more than one user account.


Was there ever a feature whereby when I install some software, the system used to ask whether you wanted to install this software only for the current user or for all users? Or am I merely imagining something that never existed?


If it did exist, I wonder why Apple would remove this feature. There are times when I want to install something only on my wife's account and not on all accounts.


Just for informaton, both user accounts are Admin-level accounts.


However, I did try creating a Standard )non-admin) account and when I wanted o install something it still asked for the Admin-level user password - meaning, it was installing for "all users" and not just this one user.


Any thoughts?


Cheers

wonderings Jul 8th, 2020 08:09 AM

Not sure, I don't remember that function. Not sure what purpose it serves. It still takes up space when installed on one user account. I would think just leave it in the application folder on her account and she will never know it is there as I am sure she, like most people have all their daily and regularly used apps in the dock.

TiltAgain Jul 9th, 2020 01:14 AM

Thank you.

It is not the space occupied that concerns me, I have oodles of space. It is merely the fact that some apps are suspicious or not that respectul of privacy, so I would prefer to create a limited user account with nothing important and install such apps there.

Zoom (videoconferencing) is one such example.

Secondly, it is also about my own mental state - am I remembering things that never existed and am absoutely sure they did exist? One more exxample of such a memory is this: The time display on the menu bar on a Mac - was there ever a point where there was an option in System Preferences for something called "Fuzzy Clock" where instead of showing the time it will display "Morning"; "Late Morning", "Noonish", "Afternoon", "Evening" etc.? I distinctly remember having this enabled in my old PowerPC Mac Mini (first gen).

These are what concerns me.

Cheers

wonderings Jul 9th, 2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltAgain (Post 2723676)
Thank you.

It is not the space occupied that concerns me, I have oodles of space. It is merely the fact that some apps are suspicious or not that respectul of privacy, so I would prefer to create a limited user account with nothing important and install such apps there.

Zoom (videoconferencing) is one such example.

Secondly, it is also about my own mental state - am I remembering things that never existed and am absoutely sure they did exist? One more exxample of such a memory is this: The time display on the menu bar on a Mac - was there ever a point where there was an option in System Preferences for something called "Fuzzy Clock" where instead of showing the time it will display "Morning"; "Late Morning", "Noonish", "Afternoon", "Evening" etc.? I distinctly remember having this enabled in my old PowerPC Mac Mini (first gen).

These are what concerns me.

Cheers

Makes sense. Though I do wonder how much privacy you get even on different user accounts when an app is installed. Personally I do not trust Zoom, not that I have anything to hide but it is the principle. There is a specific applications folder user>applications. You could install to there I believe and it would only be accessed by your account.

rgray Jul 9th, 2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderings (Post 2723682)
There is a specific applications folder user>applications. You could install to there I believe and it would only be accessed by your account.

https://www.engadget.com/2010-12-03-...s-folders.html


https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...cations-folder

"If you download an app from the AppStore, the app will be installed in the /Applications folder by default, if you want to hide it from others, just move it to /Users/someone/Applications/ (which is your own or another users' application folder).

If the app is from a DMG file, just put it into your own (or other user's) Applications folder, and do not put it into /Applications folder.

The application would then appear only in someone's Launchpad."

Also. Re: Fuzzy Time. This link may be of interest!!

pm-r Jul 9th, 2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

However, I did try creating a Standard )non-admin) account and when I wanted o install something it still asked for the Admin-level user password - meaning, it was installing for "all users" and not just this one user.

To set your mind at ease, the situations you described have always existed and you can often have an option of where the installer Is installed.

And yes, an admin user has always been needed to install software, which is disallowed by a standard user.

As for your clock option, that sounds like you had installed a third-party Utility and a Google search will probably help you find it, or something similar.

But the Later OS X Versions are getting Fussy as to what you are allowed to install, If at all. Then sometimes some customized options are needed to get some stuff installed into what should be YOUR Mac.

One can usually install an application almost wherever one wants to, and keep it hidden from other users, but beware that some applications work best or at all when installed Into their default location with their installer.




- Patrick
======

CubaMark Jul 9th, 2020 11:43 PM

This definitely exists, and in fact - it happened to me just today, as I updated Zoom in anticipation of a videoconference I'm hosting on Friday.

Admin user, I might add.

TiltAgain Jul 9th, 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgray (Post 2723686)
https://www.engadget.com/2010-12-03-...s-folders.html


https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...cations-folder

"If you download an app from the AppStore, the app will be installed in the /Applications folder by default, if you want to hide it from others, just move it to /Users/someone/Applications/ (which is your own or another users' application folder).

If the app is from a DMG file, just put it into your own (or other user's) Applications folder, and do not put it into /Applications folder.

The application would then appear only in someone's Launchpad."

Also. Re: Fuzzy Time. This link may be of interest!!


Thank you rgray :) I responded to your PM :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by pm-r (Post 2723688)
To set your mind at ease, the situations you described have always existed and you can often have an option of where the installer Is installed.

And yes, an admin user has always been needed to install software, which is disallowed by a standard user.

As for your clock option, that sounds like you had installed a third-party Utility and a Google search will probably help you find it, or something similar.

But the Later OS X Versions are getting Fussy as to what you are allowed to install, If at all. Then sometimes some customized options are needed to get some stuff installed into what should be YOUR Mac.

One can usually install an application almost wherever one wants to, and keep it hidden from other users, but beware that some applications work best or at all when installed Into their default location with their installer.




- Patrick
======


Thank you Patrick and rgray - I was not talking about the option of installing an app in a user's specific Application folder, I was talking about a dialogue box that popped up specifically while installing, asking if I wanted to install for all users or this user alone.


So, it is not the ability to install that I meant, it is the presence of this dialogue box that I remember, and this no longer exists. Did it ever exist or am I imagining it?


Quote:

Originally Posted by CubaMark (Post 2723714)
This definitely exists, and in fact - it happened to me just today, as I updated Zoom in anticipation of a videoconference I'm hosting on Friday.

Admin user, I might add.


The dialogue box exists? Is that what you mean?


OK, any discussion on this from now on is purely academic and for shits and giggles. My technical doubts have been cleared. Now I only need to determine if my mind is on its way out ;)



Cheers everyone.

CubaMark Jul 10th, 2020 12:45 AM

The dialogue box exists :) You are not (at least not on the basis of this thread) insane.

pm-r Jul 10th, 2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

I was talking about a dialogue box that popped up specifically while installing, asking if I wanted to install for all users or this user alone
...
Quote:

So, it is not the ability to install that I meant, it is the presence of this dialogue box that I remember, and this no longer exists. Did it ever exist or am I imagining it?
That type of Pop-up Installer dialogue box has always been available to the developer, but I guess it is their option whether they use it or not. Some installs Do not use it, Some do.

And don't worry, you aren't losing your mind, at least not over the absence or not of any dialogue box message. :D




- Patrick
======


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc.