I'm going to be getting a Beige G3 300 soon. I would like to use it to backup my iBook (I will be buying at least a 60gig hard drive for the beige) and I would also like to use it as an iTunes jukebox hooked up to my stereo (with an ati remote wonder). I would like to use the machine to rip/encode AAC files in iTunes (to save wear on my iBooks optical drive) I would also be using it as a backup desktop machine when my iBook breaks. Any suggestions are welcome. Here are my questions
1) What brand/model/speed hard drive should I get? I was thinking a 7200 rpm WD or Hitachi I would be getting at least a 60gig
2) How much ram should I get? I'm thinking at least 384 megs, more like 512megs.
3) Is it worth it to upgrade the processor?
4) Does the AV card work with OS X? If the video in does not work would the RCA audio out still work?
5) Is it possible to do firewire target disk mode using the iBook as the target? The beige will have a PCI firewire card.
6) Would it be worth it to upgrade the video ram?
7) Overall what would should I do to make the machine Rip cd's faster? Should I buy a new cdrom drive? What model? (I dont need a burner in this machine, I can simply use the one in my iBook)
For upgrade you can consult those 2 Web Site with tons of usefull info post by users, Disc,video,processor card etc at: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/index.html
My only experience with upgrade is with a Sonnet G3 400 mhz in a PPC 7600 120 mhz. this was a easy upgrade an give new life to my computer.
The only drawback, I find the resulting system a little bit more fragile... Well I got so much stuff on it [img]graemlins/nuts.gif[/img]